Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:17AM

They might wait a little while, but I remember that most of the apostles wanted to lift the black priesthood ban much earlier, but had to wait for some of the older fogies to die off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:18AM

I also don't seem them doing anything too dramatic, like allowing gay marriage in the temples, but I could see them trying to do something, anything, to improve their image.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 11:37AM

but probably won't be much different. The only thing I've seen change in the 29 or so years since I became involved in the gay issue in mormonism is that you aren't condemned for admitting you have SSA tendencies. I was told my boyfriend was damned if he didn't CHANGE. It didn't matter if he never acted on it. Just claiming you were gay could get you ex'd.

Posted by: jj ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 12:09PM

In my mind, the Church is on a long-term plan. Remember, they are being advised by marketing professionals now. Those marketing professionals, I'm assuming, are telling them something along the lines of - "guys, you're fighting a losing battle with your stance on gays. You've got to decide what are the things that you're willing to accomodate and what are those things that you aren't. But, you need to get ahead of this. Look, you were on the wrong side on polygamy, blacks, and now gays." I think the church will get to the point of accepting "legally" married gay people (sometime in the next 10-15 years)- but still hold back on sealing.
Evidence: This is why you're seeing the small changes already; 1) Church now says it's "ok" to be gay, as long as you don't act on it 2) Church allows students at BYU to self-identify as gay, 3) Presiding Bishop came out in support of local laws making it illegal to not rent to people because of sexual orientation, 4)Church allows gay students to post videos attesting to their sexual orientation at BYU
other examples will follow, but it seems clear to many that the church is on a slow, long-term course to turn direction.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 06:37PM

Didn't you leave out women? They're on the wrong side of us, too.

Think ERA.

Anagrammy

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 12:58PM

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

No.

In case you haven't noticed, changing their stance on gays would piss off too many of the types they are currently trying to suck up to/impress:
Tea-Baggers...er, Partiers
Brian Brown/Maggie Gallagher/National Organization for Marriage
Catholic Church (largest ally in anti-gay politics)

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:09PM

"Tea party" organizations are more concerned with economic policies than the so-called "moral" ones. Of course you will find people involved in the movement who are anti-gay, but the issues we protest and speak to don't have anything to do with homosexuality. I do know lots of Mormons who protest with the tea party, but that doesn't mean they own it and get to speak for the rest of us.

Posted by: Alex71ut (not logged on) ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 06:35PM

However there have certainly been many people trying to hijack it for other issues. If the anti-bailout people are anti-gay they should go join Warren Jeff's people or somewhere else for that issue.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:04PM

no, but I do think they will try to scrub the internet clean of anything that came out of Packers mouth.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:16PM

umm,

NO!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:18PM

Prop 8 is going to be a problem for Mittens in California. They are going to go out of their way to back-pedal and soften their stance although allowing gay marriage in the temple will still be a no-go.

TSCC never makes a change until they're forced to by the weight of public opinion, bad publicity, or impact to the financial bottom line.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 01:28PM

They will no longer take part in same-sex legislation, and as legislation increasingly allows freedom to homosexuals they will increasingly not talk about (I suspect we won't hear a peep from the church about it after the day Packer dies, ever again). This will usher in an age in which mormons gradually forget about the mormon stances on the issue as generations die off. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but some day they will allow same-sex marriages in their churches, and will teach that it's only not allowed in temple sealings (since it defies the eternal nature of families, but not necessarily the worldly nature)

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:29PM

They will continue to do so with or without Packer.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:34PM

There is a big difference between sifting their rhetoric and softening their stance...:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,478775,478775#msg-478775

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:57PM

Of course there is a difference. Not only are they different words, but they have different effects. They are, however, both indicators of change that is happening both in the leadership and the people.

It is like saying that a cough and a sneeze are different. Of course they are different, but they are symptoms of the same phenomena.

After skimming your post (I'll read it a bit better here in a second), I think I disagree with you a little bit. You are seeing hair splitting, and superficial differences, and I think you are seeing that they will end. I'm seeing progress over a large period of time. I'm seeing progress and change that is historically accurate, as Mormonism has changed many times in the past.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 06:27PM

replacing one old white dude with another old white dude isn't going to accomplish much in the near future. If the church was smart they'd wipe out the 12 and replace them with forward thinking people in their 20's-30's. Men, women, black, white, hispanic, asian, native americans....the whole shebang.

But ya, this is the "Church" we're talking about. It's going to be white old men for the next 10-15 years if we're lucky at best. Sad but true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.