Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: volrammos ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 05:50PM

Do you know?

I do not know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2012 05:51PM by volrammos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 19, 2012 06:22PM

If you want truth, the philosophy class is down the hall. In this class we deal in facts.

As a science fiction writer (whose name I can't recall) said:
If you want alternate realities or parallel universes, just be the person standing next to you.

What is my point? I don't know, except that sometimes the truths we live by are ours and ours alone. I say the glass is half-empty, but my kid says it is half-full. I say every cloud has a silver lining, but someone might point out that every silver lining has a dark center. Some may curse the rosebush for its thorns, while others praise the thornbush for its roses.

Are each of us just one of 6Billion similar life forms on a tiny blue dot, or are we members of a global family 6B strong?

And what of the bigger picture- survival of the species is everyones business, yet some of us thrive in solitude.

The universal truths are pretty well figured out, but individual truths are of our own making.

On the other hand, I could very easily be full of it.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 02:01AM

but where do you draw the line that humans began?
The advent of fully modern humans 250,000 years ago?
The advent of archaic humans 2 million years ago?
The advent of obligate upright-walking apes 6 million years ago?
Our split from the common ancestor of ourselves and chimpanzees 10 million years ago?

Jesus was sure a Johnny-come-lately

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 04:30AM

And Elohim & co. want all of them to learn and embrace the "TRUTH." He's the creator of the world. He's their FATHER in Heaven. Not only that, but he specifically put them here as a TEST of how closely they will embrace that "TRUTH." That's the purpose of this world even.

And yet he put things together so that the overwhelming majority of them will never even hear of the "TRUTH" that he so deeply wants them to embrace and put them here to TEST them on.

Elohim & co. is doing a really rotten job of things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 04:34AM by baura.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 04:56AM

My grandma explained that all to me as a small child.
We need to do all of our temple work now so when the millennium comes and Jesus comes down from the sky--uuhh...in Missouri that is.. he will rule for a thousand years and then everyone else can do their temple work. I was a spirit saved for the last days to help prepare the earth for Jesus' second coming
She taught early morning seminary for many years- I learned a lot from her as a kid especially in terms of knowing what exactly the Mormon church teaches. I was able to ponder on those moments spent with her in conversation later on when deciding if I should leave the church or not. I was the twenty question little girl or the I want to know everything or tell me a story child.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 07:41AM

Baura +1

TBMs and exmos can raise and rebut arguments for and against the validity of the church. You can get entwined in complex debates about historical documents, Egyptian or even sea-faring migrations of Pre-Columbus civilisations....... BUT at the end of the day, all you really need to do is take a step back and think about what you've mentioned and recognise that the whole plan of salvation is completely inadequate.

This was the major lead weight on my shelf of unbelief. All the other individual issues eventually added up and just helped the shelf to eventually tumble, but it was this one issue that was always the biggie for me.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 04:47AM

http://www.near-death.com/

This website opened my little Mormon eyes two years and some months into me parting from the faith of my fathers. Nat Geo talked about the dead scrolls and some simple types into the google search lead me there. Venture in if you dare.. that is if you choose "to not rely on your own understanding" as the Mormies would say back in the day when I use to waste my precious time going to that boring church.

Only certain types of personalities thrive in that setting(backstabbing women-- gossipy women?? idk overly friendly men?? nice sweet women who cook well?). I needed more meat rather than pudding. I got super bored and I wanted start up answers...this website gave me a place to start. From reading I found out that this man called Jesus was just an evolved man that had lived many lifetimes to prepare himself for such an experience- I feel he lived and there is a lot of evidence to back him up--dues to all the witnesses of miracles- he said I can perform them- you can too!. Was he born of a virgin...IDK...that doesn't matter. call me coo coo head...I don't care.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 09:22AM

how can they even learn and accept the truth in the hereafter when we will never know their names and therefore cannot perform their temple ordinances for them?

;-)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 11:02AM

During the Millenium they will have their work done in the many temple that will dot the land. There will be 1000 years to complete it all before the grand finale, during which messengers from heaven will be able to bring that knowledge to the geneology and temple workers.

Or so they say...

Remember- this is important to the Father's plan and He'll make sure it all works out!

Gotta feel bad for Jesus though...I mean taking all of mankinds sins upon himself in Gethsemane and suffering death on the cross for all of mankind, and it was all for naught because the temple is where the saving ordinances are performed for those who never had the Law.

Yes He went through all this, even promising in the Book of Mormon that through His Sacrifice, ALL those who died without the Law (also in JSjr vision of Alvin) would be saved in the Celestial Kingdom.

But then, in LDS theology, He only did it as an example of perfect obedience to the Father which naturally translates into perfect obedience to Priesthood and temple worship.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:07PM

And just think of how many billions of human and human-like beings inhabited the earth before money was invented. And to think god created the entire universe without any money whatsoever. And how all of a sudden, just 172 years ago, the truth was that god all of a sudden needed money from human beings to operate his one and only true church. Its mind-boggling, isn't it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.