Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 11:57AM

I received a B-Day card from RS this week because my b-day is around this time of year. I haven’t been to church for the past 5 or 6 years and took my decision almost a year ago to never go back after finding out some truths.
Now, the card is one of the most aseptic card I’ve ever received. My god, I’ve received commercial offers that were more personalized than that card. My name doesn’t appear anywhere on or in the card (only on the envelope with the address) and the words are the kind that can be said to anybody (you know, Best wishes from the sisters in RS, Enjoy your day, We’re thinking of you, From your Sisters)

In the very distant past I would have read it and thought “Oh so sweet, they remembered”, in the not so long past I would have read it and shred it and throw in the recycling bin. Now, a part of me feels like throwing in the recycling bin and a part of me wants to send it back with the mention that I no longer enjoy things that are so impersonal, and that they can cross my name from that list and that they can use this card to send to someone else so therefore the church will make a small saving.
I don’t know if I’m expressing my-self well but it’s the first time that I feel that way. Part of me feels like I shouldn’t care much but another part of me feels hurt by the impersonality of it all (I mean, I shouldn’t be surprised but those women are women who knew me and were friends and years past the card was a bit more personnalized)
What would you do? Any idea or suggestion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:08PM

Send it back with the message you outlined in your post. It might provoke a dialog, or it might be a wake up call to someone, or they might just not get it at all. But at least you respond with integrity and self respect.

Cheers & happy B-day!

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:09PM

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Honestly, I think a lot of them were your 'friends' because the church tells people to do that. Just the fact that it was so impersonal would tell me it isn't from the heart- they want you back- in church- trapped. I am sorry this hurt you and it's so typical of tscc.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:12PM

It sting a little, knowing they only sent it becasue your name is on a list, not becasue they were really wondering ho you're doing.

I'd send a big old thank you card in a few weeks, very plain, and unsigned with my zip code only as return address. I'd put in , sorry it took so long for me to respond to you lovely Birthday card.
Let them wonder :)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 12:24PM

You could turn it into a chain letter of sorts.

Dear sisters:
Please put a dollar in the envelope and mail this to 20 more sisters. When the total amount is $20 please return this card and the money to me. If you don't do this, your family will turn into apostates.

Love sister Quebec

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 02:50PM

+100

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:11PM

The only interesting thing about the sterile birthday card sent by mobots is your reaction.

It tells you that you still have, deep down inside, some expectation of personal consideration from the ladies who serve the All Male Money Sucking Priesthood Cult.

The desire for attention and consideration as a human being from an anonymous corporation is an artifact of brainwashing. Get rid of it by celebrating your beautiful uniqueness by creating a day that Only You Would Enjoy.

This day of celebration is you taking you out to do a combination of things that are a reflection of the things you enjoy most. And you have to go alone. For example, my last Wonderful Me date started at the library, then to my usually-off-limits favorite deli for a submarine with chips (I never buy these because I eat the whole bag). Then I cruised through a thrift stores and the art supply store, chatting with people and getting new pencils. There was an art gallery next door, so I picked up some inspiration. It was now the perfect time of day to be in the forest, so I took a short hike, sketched a tree and read my Kindle in the park while the light was golden. I finished up with a Japanese dinner of sushi and tea.

To me it was the perfect day. Possibly no one else in the world would choose that combination of activities. I felt refreshed and content and slept like a baby.

Discover yourself.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:17PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 02:55PM

I agree.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:31PM

Just write the Bishops name in the card where yours should have been, write his address on a label and place it on the original envelope over your address, put a new stamp on it, and throw it in the mailbox.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 01:42PM

When you send the card back, remember to address it to "Dear Cult Members"

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 02:14PM

LOL I still get those cards too.

My b-day card from RS this month showed a delapidated house/barn sitting wobbly on a hillside.
My first thought was that this described the state of the Moron church exactly.

Don't take it personally.
SLC sucks all the money out of the wards,so they buy the cheapest crap they can find. No Hallmark cards can be expected under such circumstances.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: April 20, 2012 02:30PM

Thanks for your feedback and your ideas. I appreciate it.
And thanks for your good wishes.

Your right Anagrammy, I should make it a celebration of my uniqueness. It brings me another dimmension about what I was thinking.

Mia and JoD3, your ideas are so funny, thanks for the laugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.