Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: April 21, 2012 09:32PM

The fake priesthood! I always loved father's blessings. I think they are truely special and you dont have to believe in TSCC, any religion or even a god for them to be special. Of course this is my opinion and will be different depending on the relationship someone has with their father, but if I was scared or upset, or even sick... I would always feel better having my dad close to me 'blessing' me with his attention, love, and concern. Even as an adult who received one in my 30's when I no longrer believed.

What are some of your experiences and/or opinions about this, either pro or con?
It's okay if we agree or disagree... I'm just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 21, 2012 10:33PM

My husband is eloquent.

At the start of every school year we'd do "Father's Blessings," sometime after we shopped for school clothes and supplies, and right before the actual first day of school. We had a BUNCH of kids (mostly special needs/adopted). We placed a chair from the dining room table in the middle of the living room and, one-by-one, the kids would step up to get their blessings.

It was really quite sweet, as he would include special blessings for each child pertaining to physical or academic obstacles they would overcome. The blessings were encouraging, and each child came away from the experience with positive vibes for the new year.

Overall, it was a touching and spiritual experience for all of us. (And, no, I'm not an apologist ... but Father's Blessings, along with generic Family Home Evenings, were probably a bedrock of my Mormon years and had a net positive experience on my kids).

;o)

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 11:15PM by shannon.

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: April 21, 2012 10:44PM

:)

Posted by: azexmo ( )
Date: April 22, 2012 12:36AM

I do have fond memories of these moments with my father. They were/are special. It was comforting to hear my father speak the words of his heart about his desire for my well-being.

One thing I remember about blessing experiences is the way his hands would "shake" on my head. Not a bad memory...just something I remember very vividly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.