Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 04:21AM

Going by the latest membership numbers produced by the Church it is clear that people who resign are still counted as members. Even though you have resigned you are part of the 14+ million.

I think as part of the resignation process you should be given proof that your name has not only been logged as 'resigned' but has also been completely removed from the membership numbers.

Would the next person to resign, or someone who has recently resigned, please try and get this cast iron confirmation that you are no longer counted as a member?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 04:35AM

Date: April 23, 2012 07:57AM

Based on a calculation using the published membership numbers 2010 and 2011.

In short the difference between the membership numbers taking into account new converts and new children of record (births) it leaves a difference of 91,500. This number is therefore the total number of members who either died or resigned.

Judging by any death rate in the world, this number (out of 14,000,000) appears severely understated even if it was solely the total number of members who died.

It therefore cannot possibly take into account any one who has resigned. Resigned members are still counted as members, the numbers show it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 07:58AM by Stumbling.

Posted by: angelina5 ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 07:59AM

I am probably sending my email this week. I shall let you know!

Date: April 23, 2012 08:10AM

Thank you.

Please ask for specific evidence that you are no longer counted in the number of members that the Church claims each year during April Conference and on the Statistics section of the Church website.

That's kind of you to do this.

Date: May 08, 2012 08:42AM

Bump for angelina5

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:05AM

Stumbling wrote:

>I think as part of the resignation process you should be given proof that your name has not only been logged as 'resigned' but has also been completely removed from the membership numbers.

I don't want to sound like I am defending the church, but exactly what kind of evidence do you think the church can provide you with that would be satisfactory? I can't imagine what it would be. What you will get will be a statement like "You are no longer counted as a member." I suspect you will not find that satisfactory.

Do you think they will send you a listing of 14 million people so that you can see for yourself that your name is not there?

It is well-established that if you have resigned, and then telephone Confidential Records and ask them if you are listed as a member, you will be told that you are not listed as a member on their records. (I have done that.)

My suspicion is that they don't really count the names listed on the membership records to come up with their total, but simply do some adding and subtracting which is very inaccurate and has nothing to do with how many names are actually listed as members.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 10:54AM

You have done the math for one year of the morgs official stat. But if you where to do it on many years, as I have done, you would not suspect that they subtract deaths, you would come the conclusion I've arrived at: They pull the numbers out of their ass.

Posted by: Aaron Hines ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:47AM

I sent my resignation email last week, so we'll see what happens.

On a side note that you just reminded me of, if you were to call this Confidential Records department and ask for a copy of your member file, do they give it to you? I've been curious about what a member file looks like...

Posted by: vicksbestdog ( )
Date: April 23, 2012 12:20PM

If you resign from any organization, you will remain on their records as having been a member but resigning.

That is just good record keeping by the organization.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:00AM

They will NEVER take you completely out of the system.

1. Because if you want back in, they need to have a record that you were previously baptized (and maybe endowed and sealed).

2. My father is a never-mo and even he has a membership number that shows up on my own Individual Ordinance Summary (IOS) page. So, what makes you think they'll take you off?

3. It's a computer. They need a number for everything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.