Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:29PM

I was climbing stairs and they would be steep and crazy, and when I got to the top there was no where to go. But it was almost impossible to get back down.

Other times it was a balcony type hallway which narrowed to the wall and there was no going forward and no way to go back.

That and being guilty of some horrible unnamed sin which could only be escaped by waking up.

Or going to a familiar place where I was deathly afraid of what was inside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:39PM

and being pursued by dark ghostly beings who howled and grabbed at my hair and nightgown. I had that dream for many years until I left the morg.

It ended when I turned on the creatures, saw that they were distorted, and that I was whole and normal. I escaped them, never went back to church, and started to live a happier life from that morning to this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 01:08PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:41PM

Generally, I'll be walking around the halls in the shadows, feeling stalked. Or, I'll be held against my will in the cultural hall.

Thank you, Joseph Smith, for all of my neuroses.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 12:44PM

I was always being stalked by something evil that I couldn't see. I'd be running around the outside of our house, the invisible thing closing in fast, and I'd get to the kitchen window. My family was inside eating and I begin pounding on the glass and yelling for help. They can't see me or hear me. Evil thing is going to get me.....then I wake up.

Had that dream for years and years. It's funny, but I rarely have nightmares anymore. :)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:00PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:10PM

Also, the one where I'm on the shore and a giant wave is coming for me, so I try to run up the hill, but it's made of sand i keep slepping back down. The last time I had this dream, the curl of the wave was completely over my head and I was just waiting for it to crash down on me.

No more nightmares after resigning. They just went away.

Posted by: benben ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 08:55PM

WHOA! I am surprised that others had these same dreams too...specifically JOD, WCG, and Cheryl.

I've had the one with a dark being inches from my face, who would tug at my clothes;

I've had the one with steep, STEEP stairs that led to nowhere; (and everytime I see the Simpsons episode with the escalator to nowhere, I get reminded of that recurring dream.)

And the waves and sand!

One other that I always seemed to have was tornadoes...multiple tornadoes and being surrounded by them.

And while I can't honestly say that these recurring dreams stopped BECAUSE I quit the church, I can DEFINITELY say that I stopped having them since the time I stopped going to church.

It's weird. I wonder whether the dreams stop due to overcoming the fear of the unknown. Within the church, you are taught and become fearful of Satan and his minions being right over your shoulder; that any little sin will cast you to hell; every little "what if" could have prevented an illness/death/heartache if only we had been more perfect; that being possessed by a spirit is real; that we actually live in a world separate from the real (i.e. spirit) world.

While I don't know with a certainty what happens after death, I can definitely say that the weirds "truths" taught to members about the afterlife is not what the afterlife will be like...and that we are NOT always on this precipice of falling into satan's hands.

And I hate to admit that the thought of being in "Satan's power" as stated in the temple was a big last hurdle for me before finally waking up to the truth about the church. But nowadays...no more fears...acceptance that there are somethings that we just don't know...and no more recurring nightmares. Life is better.

Posted by: imbadash ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:14PM

I had a similar dream for YEARS! There was a dark figure in the corner of my room, and he would be laughing at me and I couldnt move no matter how hard I tried I was stuck there in my bed listening to him laugh. It's strange I just always thought I was just prone to nightmares but now that ya'll mention it I havent had that nightmare since I left...hmmm

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:32PM

Oh, I get disgouraged sometimes, but not hopelessly in despair about being alone, my future, and the hereafter. On Sundays it was a struggle to just get out of bed and do church.

When I was a child, I used to dream of burning. We learned in Primary, that unless we were very good little boys and girls, that we would burn in the Second Coming. And the Second Coming was going to happen SOON! Since I was never perfect enough, and was always making mistakes, I knew I would burn. Usually, our house was on fire. Sometimes our whole city.

As an adult, I had realistic flashback dreams of being battered and strangled by my ex-husband. In the dream, I would wake up, paralized and cold with that horrible feeling of Satan all around me, and I would try to get my breath. Then, suddenly my ex would pounce on top of me, and start strangling me, like he did. I hadn't been awake at all! In my sleep, I would scream as loudly as I could, for someone to save me. My children and (second) husband would be horrified at my screaming. I thought the awake-asleep confusion was particularly cruel.

All nightmares of any kind disappeared when I left the church. They disappeared before I went into therapy. They disappeared even though I still have PTSD. I haven't had one nightmare of any kind for 6 years, and I don't think that is a coincidence.

My daughter used to have her zombie dream, in which various Mormon ward neighbors would be chasing her down the street, but they were slow, and moved like robots. Their faces were vacant and frowning, and they didn't talk. She would run into our house, and they would pound on the door, and press their faces up against the windows. Her nightmares stopped when she got married and moved away.

Cheryl's dream is a classic! It teaches such a great lesson, that the Mormons are the ones who are distorted, and we are (or are on our way to becoming) whole and normal.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:44PM

as a youth and at BYU. I was running along Pacific Coast Highway being chased by a tidal wave that got closer and closer til I woke up. After BYU, especially once I decided to go on my mission, I had a dream that someone had hold of my wrists and someone had hold of my ankles and they were dragging me out of my body. It was a dark, evil feeling and the light in the dream always came up from the floor, not down from the light. In my dreams, I always prayed for them to go away and I tried commanding them in the name of Jesus Christ to go away. It was like I was asleep and knew I was asleep but couldn't wake myself up. In fact once, on my mission, I scared the crap out of my companion by screaming "Wake up Wake up" in my sleep. I was trying to wake myself up from this dream. The weird thing is, my roommate before my mission was preparing to go on a mission too and both of us thought that evil spirits were trying to stop us from going on missions. And even weirder, we'd both wake up feeling like strong fingers had been around our wrists and ankles. Grab your wrist right now, squeeze really tightly and then let go. That feeling was what we'd wake up with.

Haven't had either dream since ditching Mormonism.

Posted by: Apatheist ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 10:58PM

Usually involving one country invading another or nuclear weapons. I haven't had one since I stopped going to church.

Posted by: Dieter ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:18PM

My mother is Mormon, as is my wife. I never got into it except for a time right after I met my wife. I downloaded a copy of the book onto my iphone and started reading it. Every night I read it I would have nightmares about evil spirits. I was just wondering if anyone else was having these experiences.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:19PM

I left so long ago that I never dream morg related dreams but I still have crazy dreams. I think they might be related to various medications.

I often dream I'm inside a particular house. I've driven past the house before but I've never been inside it and never want to either.

Other times I dream I'm stranded of a sheer cliff face that I've somehow crawled up to and can't go back the way I came.

Then there are good dreams: A while back my long dead TBM grandfather came to me and told me that I was on the right path and to not worry about the future. Maybe I should start a religion.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:28PM

Never had nightmares but the depression, anxiety, and panic attacks ceased once I left the church. Off my meds now for almost a year.

Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:29AM

And I would be overcome by the power of the devil until I could manage the power to lift my arm to the square and command him in the name of Jesus Christ to depart.

Since leaving the church he hasn't bothered to come around at all. Before bed now, I read worldly philosophy-type books, take an Ambien, put on a face mask, ear plugs, no garments. I'm as vulnerable and easy prey as it comes. Still no Satan.

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 11:50AM

Just the other night, I had a dream that I was sitting on the stand in sacrament meeting. I knew I was supposed to get up and bear my testimony as soon as the announcements were done. But then I realized that there was no way I could do it because I knew it was all a crock. I thought, "maybe I can just say how grateful I am for my friends and family, etc. and not even say anything about the church." But then I realized I didn't have to say anything! The bishopric guy was still giving the announcements and I just got up and walked out, while everyone stared. But once I got out of the chapel, I wandered around the halls, and couldn't find the door to get out.

Thought that was funny, because I HAVE found the door out in real life. And I went through it - never to go back again.

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 11:53AM

http://www.dreammoods.com/

This is a good dream dictionary website. Just put the subject of your dream in the search box, and it'll tell you what dreams about that issue mean. For example:

Tidal Wave:
To see a tidal wave in your dream, represents an overwhelming emotional issue that demands your attention. You may have been keeping your feelings and negative emotions bottled up inside for too long. On a positive note, the tidal wave symbolizes the clearing away of old habits. If you are carried away by the tidal wave, then it means that you are ready to make a brand new start in a new place.

To dream that you can create a tidal wave with your mind, is analogous to your ability to control your emotions and keep them in line

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 09:35PM

I got physically ill when I was trying to leave TSCC.I've been gone about 2 years now, and have not had anymore health problems since initally getting violently ill at first.. must have been the stress from trying to leave...this site helped me learn the truth about the cult. I still see a therapist,and have come a long way, but I get more therapy from this site and only those of us who have been through the morg would understand...thanks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.