Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:01PM

All this fuss about tea in the church!!

I had a cup of black chai tea one day and got a splitting headache. I looked it up on line and found out that one cup of black tea was equal in caffeine to four one liter bottles of Pepsi! No wonder I was sick! One liter bottle would take me two days to drink on my own.

so I looked up the production of tea. "Green" tea or "Black" tea are the same!!! They are from the same plant!
They are just processed differently! One is picked and dried then made into tea leaf bags the other gets slightly baked in the drying process.
The most sought after tea is the first produced tender leaves in the spring. The Chinese kings got that tea!

So what is the argument? Green tea is okay if you drink it hot? Green tea is okay??? Yet Green tea and black tea are the same plant! So much for keeping the wow!! :D! lol!

What else do you all know about tea????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:10PM

...are loaded with anti-oxidants. The anti-oxidants in tea scavenge for harmful, cell-damaging free radicals in the body, and they detoxify them.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/antioxidants-in-green-and-black-tea

I look a good ten years younger than my actual age, and I attribute that in part to a lifetime habit of including lots of anti-oxidant foods in my diet.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:11PM

I just know that I need two cups of hot tea a day....even in summer. Love it!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:46PM

> I had a cup of black chai tea one day and got a
> splitting headache. I looked it up on line and
> found out that one cup of black tea was equal in
> caffeine to four one liter bottles of Pepsi! No
> wonder I was sick!

As a regular tea drinker, I disputed that figure.... so I checked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

a standard caffeine tablet contains about 100 mg caffeine - the same as a small espresso coffee (1.5 - 2 fl oz)

a hersheys dark chocolate bar (43 g / 1.5 oz) = 31 mg caffeine

a 6 fl oz cup of black tea = 50 mg ---- green tea = 35 mg

12 fl oz of coke cola = 34 mg
12 fl oz of mountain dew = 54 mg

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:49PM

http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm

and of course you can always drink deccaffeinated tea.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 12:58PM

Interesting fact (from QI)
tea has more caffeine than coffee - weight for weight

however, since you use less tea, to make a cup of tea, than coffee, to make a cup of coffee - a cup of coffee contains more caffeine than a cup of tea

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 01:13PM

All I know is that when I really got into tea after leaving the cult is that I've been having fewer colds and I've lost weight because I drink my tea unsweetened, as I'm drinking fewer calories. Now, on occasion I do treat myself to a mocha or seasonal latte, but that's not something I do every day.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 01:38PM

It's common knowledge that many different teas are from the same plant- There are differences in the process of fermentation, roasting, etc. It's not like you stumbled on some hidden conspiracy of the tea industry.

A cup of tea is NOT equal to 4 liters of caffeinated soda. I don't know what source you use, but mine is "The New Complete Book of Food" by Carol Ann Rinzler. It has several pages devoted to caffeine levels in tea, coffee, chocolate, and soda.
I try to drink two cups of green tea every night. It helps digestion and calms my nerves.
The insanity in TSCC about tea is enough to drive one to drink! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 01:42PM by itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Just Me ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 02:29PM

Check out the Stockholm study... tea lowered rates of ovarian cancer 40%, check out Dr. Oz...caffeinated coffee lowered cancer rates, but decaf did not. I love tea, believe it is very healthy and and drink as much as I can.

Posted by: Really?! ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 03:01PM

1-2 cups of herbal lemon tea a day for 2-3 days - no other medicine - and I can keep my cold symptoms at bay and be rid of faster than with any cold medicine. Stomach ache/indigestion/food poisoning? Peppermint tea fixes me right up.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 04:18PM

I went through a period of drinking a spiced tea and found myself with headaches and sniffles. Stopped the spiced tea and went to plain and I was fine.

I'm drinking a different spiced tea this month that my husband brought me from France and I'm fine. So, it seems to depend on a number of things.

And I agree, that your caffeine numbers for a cup of tea seem extremely high. Maybe check multiple sources and go with the ones that line up with each other and and are backed by reputable organizations?

My favorite go-to tea is English Breakfast. Tried Irish Breakfast once and it tasted like bog moss.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 04:32PM

I'm a huge tea drinker. I have a whole cabinet full of about every tea you can think of. I have a lot of Asian friends who always send me tea from various parts of Asia. I think I have a two year supply of oolong alone. LOL!

I'm a huge fan of iced tea but avoid adding sugar. I live in the Jackson Hole area and we have very good well water and it makes the best iced tea.

This year I attended a class reunion. The LDS people seemed burnt out, cranky, more than half over weight and I was happy and energetic. One of them mentioned I must have good genes and I said it's not genes, it's living life on your terms and not someone else's. I wasn't happy ten years ago and quit the church and my job. Both were going to send me to an early grave.

I did some serous soul searching and set out some long-term goals of what I wanted my life to be. My current occupation and the church had no place in my plan and so I went to work making the life I wanted and it required a lot of sacrifice and work.

Ten years later I'm happy. I also said daily exercise, tea drinking, the occasional scotch whisky and cigar was my secret.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 08:13PM

as the British do it.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 09:23PM

http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm

Pepsi 12 oz. 38 mg (20 oz. = 63)
Tea, brewed 8 oz. 53mg
Coffee, generic brewed 8 oz. 133 mg
Dr. Pepper 12 oz. 42mg (20 oz. = 68)
Coca-Cola Classic 12 oz. 35

So, one cuppa has a little more caffeine than a canned Pepsi, but less than a 20 oz bottle.

Your 4 liters of Pepsi would have 456mg or 9 cups of tea.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 04, 2010 09:27PM

>I had a cup of black chai tea one day and got a splitting headache.

that's a coincidence! I **didn't** have a cup of black tea the other day, and I, too, had a splitting headache! ;o))

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:53AM

That it's damn near impossible to get a good glass of iced tea behind the Zion Curtain...

For a time the local 7-11 Stores had an apparatus that produced really good brew...

They were pulled, however, for reasons I still don't fathom. I heard somebody mumble something about health code violations...

I don't believe that was the reason...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.