Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:11AM

But, to a lot of non-Mormons out there (like potential employers and future colleagues), that isn't necessarily a positive. (Possible synonyms for "mark" could include: blemish, blot, blotch, pock, scar, smudge, splotch, spot, stain.)

More BYU Commencement gems:

"[Oaks recognized] the challenging times facing graduates — wars and rumors of wars, natural disasters, recession and the prospect of further financial disaster, values and standards being denied or cast aside as more people call evil good, and selfishness replacing service...." [In other words, the world is no different today than it was 4,500 years ago when a worldwide flood and dinosaurs threatened to extinguish humanity!]
"' ...BYU graduates and other Saints suffer worldly criticism and perhaps even persecution....'" [And since Mormons are untouched by imperfection, these criticisms and persecutions are simply proof of the wicked world's blind hatred towards them and that Mormons are right and everyone else is evil and wrong.]

"Elder Oaks told students to emulate Brigham Young's inclusive attitude toward his fellowmen." [In this sense, the meaning of the word "inclusive" would be better expressed as "non-inclusive."]

Quoting Brigham Young: "'"Our religion is adapted to the capacity of the whole human family. It does not send a portion of the people to howl in torment for ever and ever ...."'" [Unless you have the audacity to question, abandon and then speak against Mormonism!]

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/62288/BYU-Commencement-You-have-a-mark-upon-you.html

(Fetal Deity, a not-especially proud graduate of the "Lard's University")

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 07:34PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exmorphmon ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 05:48AM

Maybe Oaks ment immolate Brigham, not emulate. And go out into the world like lambs to the bar-b-que.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 07:49PM

Oaks explains: the MORmON sheep follow the MORmON PRofit

make 'em say baaaah !

from the follow the PRofit CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVJAeeuJQg

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 06:26AM

I want to include the whole quote on persecution:

"As BYU graduates and other Saints suffer worldly criticism and perhaps even persecution, they will do well to remember Brigham Young's declaration: 'Every time they persecute and try to overcome this people, they elevate us, weaken their own hands, and strengthen the hands and arms of this people. And every time they undertake to lessen our number, they increase it. And when they try to destroy the faith and virtue of this people, the Lord strengthens the feeble knees, and confirms the wavering in faith and power in God, in light, and intelligence”

Apparently Brigham didn't mean the internet, because it's devastating their ranks. And destroying their faith.

Date: May 04, 2012 07:42PM

except, of course, in discourse with God and angels. ; )

Oaks, however, has no rational excuse for using BY's quote--a classic example of denial and delusion, with no acknowledgement of the effects that modern technology and the information revolution are having on the church.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 07:53PM

I have never been persecuted by any people more than the Mormons themselves. I wrote a letter to the leaders in SLC and told them so. They probably didn't read it, but maybe their secretaries did. It made me feel better, that's all that matters.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 07:43PM

Oaks is a joke.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 07:54PM

Posted by: anonaholic (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 09:30PM

The mark of Cain more likely.

Date: May 04, 2012 11:57PM

"Marks" on groups of people as a sign to distinguish them--usually in a negative way--from others. I don't know why the church has been so obsessed with that concept. I guess it's just easier to judge a group in such a way, rather than looking at each individual for who they are--good or bad.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:55AM

YIKES! Usually when you hear the phrase "mark on you" in the context of a "religious" belief, it is about the mark of Satan........same thing in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 12:55AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 08:19PM

Nothing like a little conformity pep talk? (Except root canals)
By the way, the mark is "666" isn't it?

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:18PM

When Horace Greeley interviewed Brigham Young as governor, Young specifically upheld slavery:

H.G. — What is the position of your Church with respect to Slavery?

B.Y. — We consider it of Divine institution, and not to be abolished until the curse pronounced on Ham shall have been removed from his descendants.

H.G. — Are there any slaves now held in this Territory?

B.Y. — There are.

H.G. — Do your Territorial laws uphold Slavery?

B.Y. — Those laws are printed — you can read them for yourself. If slaves are brought here by those who owned them in the States, we do not favor their escape from the service of those owners.

Posted by: dazed11 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:40PM

I am so glad I didn't go to BYU. I started the application but didn't finish it because I didn't like the essay topic. I think it was something about describing an experience that built your character. I don't need that kind of mark on me or on my resume.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.