Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:05PM

Lately I've been hit up by several different people, once they find out I'm exmo, for me to come to their church. These people are great people but I'm atheist and I can't seem to bring myself to tell them I'm not interested in ANY religion. So far I've just responded by saying something like "I just got burned out with Mormonism and I'm focusing on other things right now, but thank you."

What do you say?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:12PM

... the pastor of the local congregation!

Check it out:

http://www.beerchurch.com/

Gots me a business card to that effect and everything!

Timothy

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:13PM

"I practice a spirituality that is as personal and private to me as my sex life. I don't concern myself with your sex life, don't concern yourself with my spiritual life."

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:15PM

My wife's Uncle gave us a very nice offer, suggesting that if we wanted a church that we would be very welcome at his.

I responded with something to the effect of "Thank you, but I'm still working things out, but we will keep that in mind" and promptly changed the subject. We've used that line on several people, her parents, some friends, etc... Though I have not told my parents anything, as far as they know, I'm just inactive.

Most people seem very glad that my wife and I are out of the church, I have a feeling that some would think that being an atheist would be considered worse than being a mormon, but only some, I think most would be OK with it.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:18PM

Don't let them suck you into another waste of time and mental headache.

I use this line alot, " I am fine that you believe (insert religion) but it is not for me. I do not believe in a god. We can will still be friends but reiligion is a topic that is off the table."

Just a thought.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:29PM

No need to explain yourself further. If that is not good enough for them, RUN.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 02:31PM by MJ.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:30PM

First, I leave God out of it.

Then I affirm clearly that I do not believe Mormonism to be "true" but happily accept that he/she does.

If pushed further on the question of religion, I say something like, "not unlike the founder of your church, my conscience clearly states that none of them [religion] are true, so it would be wrong to belong to any of them."

(Only a few have pushed me one further and tell me that the founder of Mormonism isn't Joseph Smith but is Jesus the Christ. At this I simply say, "then you should think twice the next time Satan tells you to put an apron on."

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:38PM

Keep it simple: "Thank you for the kind invitation. When I'm ready to look for a new church, I will remember that."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:40PM

heather Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't seem to bring
> myself to tell them I'm not interested in ANY
> religion.

Come on, you can do it. They don't stone infidels anymore.

But if you can't get out the words, maybe you could say, "Or you could come with me to non-church."

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 02:46PM

+1

That's exactly what I say, and it seems to satisy most people.

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:27PM

"Great! Should I bring my own condoms, or will they be passing them out at the door?"

Won't bother you ever again.

Posted by: elaine ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:33PM

Well, I'm agnostic, not atheist, but for these purposes it amounts to nearly the same thing. I always just say, "I'm not interested, thanks. I'm happy with my beliefs as they stand and I'm not looking for new ones."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:53PM

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 03:55PM

Heather,

You already have a great answer. Just stick with the one you are using. Are you getting a bad response to it or something?

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 04:43PM

No, the response is fine but some people are just more persistent. Just wondering what you all do. :)

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 04:01PM

I usually say that my wife and I are already attending another church. They'll ask which one, and I say we actually go to several different ones.

I tell them we mostly go to Our Mother of Wasatch, Church of the Holy Hobble Creek, or Sisters of Soldier Hollow.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 04:27PM

Unfortunately, most Christians I run into are happy that I left mormonism, thinking that now I can embrace the truth. Then, when I let them know I'm not interested in their particular brand of religion, they second-guess me, and pity me, because of the baby-bath water thing... or that mormonism ruined me. I suppose I could go on the attack and challenge their beliefs, but it's just not worth it. As others have said, leave it at "no, thanks, I'm good."

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 04:51PM

"Thanks for the invite, maybe I'll come check it out sometime."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.