Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 05:45PM

I am going through a phase of looking for inspiration after some of the disheartening times of sorta losing my faith in people as a whole. I left the church years ago and there are some great people in my life, so I have not lost faith in all people certainly. But, I didn't sort through a lot of what needed sorting through and just living around Mormons again after years of being away has me forced to examine things I thought didn't need examining prior when they were not triggered.

I find that there is a general sense of people around religion especially being sorta crazy and contorted in thinking so often and I am looking to what inspires me now. I think in general watching and hearing so many stories and watching people justify so many things in the name of religion and just shut down their mind, it is hard to believe in much and hard to know what to trust.

A lot of this feels like a sort of collective cultural journey beyond just Mormonism and the Zion belt (AZ, ID, UT, etc...)

It would be great to know where others are finding inspiration at this point - the Dalai Lama? Einstein? Jung? Other?

Is there art that inspires you now in a way Jesus images, JS, etc... used to? or would have been nice to? Where do you turn for general human inspiration?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 07:24PM

Fishing for crappie, jokes about jesus, swearing for the fun of it. I know I'm lame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 07:26PM by templenameaaron.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 08:09PM

I am inspired by all the good in the world. I am inspired by the awesomeness that humans possess. I am inspired by natural ability, like singing. I am inspired by things that have to be practiced and perfected(Go to YouTube and search for awesome people). I am inspired when people are kind to each other and kind to animals.

I think people who say that religion is where morals come from are pathetic. Morals and direction should come from the desire to be good for the sake of being good. It should come from the desire to make the world better than we found it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 09:29PM

My grandchildren, sunrises and sunsets, enjoying a good day trap shooting with my friends, talking hot rods at morning coffee and just looking forward to tomorrow

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:20PM

Just daily life, plus the greats from the ages.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:27PM

I am inspired by the good things in life--there are so many

I am inspired by beautiful fiance

I am inspired by mother nature beauty

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:29PM

Well, a desire to be a good husband, but besides that, not a thing.

Is that worrying? Or no?

Posted by: epursilie ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 10:32PM

Science!
I'm seriously a nerd but I love science and nature. The world is pretty incredible when you finally figure out that god had nothing to do with it turning out the way it did.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 02:49AM

Beauty inspires me.

Beauty has taught me to wonder more broadly and more profoundly.

Rather than wondering about church doctrine and God's will, I now wonder about aesthetics, my responses to Beauty and Humanity's responses to Beauty.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 04:05AM

Yes to all of it! My children inspire me. Love, science, nature, beauty, children, animals, poetry, acts of kindness, humor in everyday life.

Once I decided what did NOT inspire me--what depressed and angered me--I could eliminate those things, and enjoy the remaining 90% of life. As a former pianist and organist, used and exploited by the cult, I actually hated music for many years. I threw away all my Mormon music, and cover my ears and run at the moaning sounds of the MoTab dirges. Those noises actually nauseate me, yet I like almost everything else, from heavy metal to baroque. Mormon speeches do NOT inspire me, yet the professional Christian sermons uplift me. I like to meditate, visualize, and daydream, rather than pray.

You have a right to be discerning, and have your own individual tastes. I got sick of Mormons telling me what I should and should not enjoy.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 04:37AM

Kundalini Shakti

OM jaya Shakti Ma

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:00AM

what inspires me is the knowledge that i have the power to accomplish whatever i want. no need to look elsewhere, no popes, no politicians, no men in dark suits trying to make you follow their ways.

it's not a vain sense of pride.

it's more of a liberating feeling that you too can unlock your true potential.

these three books inspire me:

1]
http://www.amazon.com/Psycho-Cybernetics-New-More-Living-Life/dp/0671700758/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336207993&sr=1-1-fkmr1

2] http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Your-Subconscious-Mind/dp/1612930727/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336208035&sr=1-1

3]
http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Power-Rhonda-Byrne/dp/1439181780/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336208249&sr=1-3

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 10:45AM

The ocean.

During the worst times of my life -
If I hadn't been able to go to the beach, sit in the sand, and watch the waves roll in . . . I'd have offed myself by now. No lie.

I still remember watching the sunset over the ocean with college friends during Spring Break. One guy was a pre-med student and he started talking evolution. He explained his theory that we are naturally drawn to the ocean because it's where we originated. And we crawled out of the water to begin our journey to human beings.

My friend's words have stuck with me all of my adult life. So whenever I meditate to the rhythm of the waves, I feel that sense of "home."

;o)

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:24PM

These are really great. Thank you to all those who have posted so far and to any who may care to further post on the thread. It is nice to have some reference points to work with that others are using and have used over the years.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:32PM

By all that inspired me before.

Mormonism never made a contribution.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 05:32PM by Timothy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:32PM

The ocean, painting, the art work of others, my kids, my dog, anything in nature. Planting seeds, watching them grow. Reading, writing. Quiet. Good food, good music, good friends.

I love to go down to the beach with my kids, hubby, and the dog. Take some good food and drink. Build a big fire and sit there at night listening to the waves, looking at stars and roasting marshmallows. I could do that every single day in the summer.

Posted by: hellrazor ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 08:03PM

Good music. True art (not mormon artifice). The gentle glow of moonlight. River and creeks (moving water in general). The movement of muscle and bone. Reading whatever I please. A soft breeze. Writing. Teaching myself to draw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 08:03PM by hellrazor.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 09:38PM

Music (especially Hans Zimmer)
Stories of courage about regular people (Aron Rawlston, Rudy, etc.)
Movies (especially Terrence Malik's "Tree of Life")
Beauty
Childhood innocence (watching my kids play)
Nature

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:45PM

.......the wonder of life and living and some of the statements from some great leaders. I find inspiration in the younger generation also, music, books I read, people I associate with that are kind and loving and FUN to be with.

Posted by: Chic in the heart of Moville ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:38PM

Most of all my kids and how resilient they are considering all they have been through in the last year, Moving, divorced parents ect. How willing people are to help someone who needs help and ask for nothing in return. How my true friends will always be there for me, usually with wine in hand. Most of all that no matter how uninspired you feel at one point in your life you can always find it again. Life is a gift, especially when you are granted a do over. If you really pay attention to what is going on around you, you will find something to inspire you even if it is just for that moment.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 02:28AM

Performing music and being kind to others and animals.

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:44AM

By God Himself! No other human beings tell this man how to worship!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 07:24AM

Without doubt my kids.

They are the most amazing people I have ever met.

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 10:10AM

Football. If any of you saw the Man City/QPR game and the Arsenal/WBA game on Sunday, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I almost cried. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.