Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: May 04, 2012 06:17PM

Re: Five Billion Mall?
posted by. m

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19428181&title=a-look-inside-as-city-creek-centers-completion-nears&s_cid=featured-1

SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Chamber says $5 billion have gone into the revitalization of downtown Salt Lake City, and a major part of that is soon to open in the new City Creek Center.
The project is nearly finished, and H. David Burton — presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the man who has overseen City Creek from the beginning — anticipates the center's Mar. 22 grand opening will be just that: grand.

Options: Reply•Quote•Follow Topic•Report
Date: May 03, 2012 01:11AM
Re: Five Billion Mall?

Not accepting any more comments there after a few impotent criticisms countered by five times as many rah, rah ain't the mall wonderful, don't criticize such a humanitarian church, and think of all the good this (tithing money from other church members around the world) will do Salt Lake City and us. The self-centeredness and self-serving arguments of some of the mall's cheerleaders is disgusting.

Options: Reply•Quote•Follow Topic•Report
Date: May 03, 2012 06:39PM
From the comments thread to the KRL article

From the comments thread:

Escapefromutah
posted 62 days ago
In my opinion there are/were better ways to spend this money. This money should have been spent helping low income people receive housing, or any kind of charitable use. Instead, this is a monument to mammon. Shameful! I will never spend a dime there, nor would i want to live there, its probably outrageously expensive.

Mom2Five
[Argued, wrongly that the LDS church gives out so much in humanitarian aid and in helping the poor. Too bad this non-sequitur of bad information didn't get trounced by someone with access to Google.]

Jack D.
posted 62 days ago
Your comment reminds me of this:

4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,

5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?

6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein

Ligthen up, this will bring great things to downtown. Which will boost the economy, which is good for all.

[This seems to me the most vicious and selfish argument against the mall's critics. If you are disgusted by the amount of money the LDS church spends on the mall, you just need to lighten up and, really, you want to steal from the poor.]

Lori E.
posted 61 days ago
I see it that the church has a huge interest and obligation to maintain the upkeep of downtown; afterall the Mormons founded it and built it up. The temple is there and the church has reason to maintain the upkeep of its founded area and not diminish the value of SLC and Temple grounds. I appreciate the church doing this and keeping SLC a nice place to live/visit, etc. Try to appreciate the good people do. You would complain if the church let downtown turn into rubble, which is where it was headed, so be happy with the positive that they have done for our state and community.

[The LDS church founded SLC, so it is within its rights to suck tithing money in from members around the world and invest it SLC and SLC's citizenry.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2012 06:18PM by derrida.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.