Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:27PM

SuzieQ#1 makes a point about Christian fundamentalists trying to convince a teenager who would like to be Wiccan that she/he has a mental illness.

It reminded me that the very definition of mental illness is defined by a behavior that does not fit in with the social norm or the times. Joseph Smith is a perfect example of this. In the climate of religious revival that was his social environment, seeing visions through a stone and hearing voices, divining rod, etc, was not an uncommon experience. Were he to "come forth" with his story today, he would be deemed delusional for sure.

A person wanting to be a witch in Salem would be rightfully seen as suicidal. I'd like to hear some comments from the board on this as it applies to Mormonism.

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:30PM

Most fundies show signs of delusion and sociopathy. I've found very few exceptions.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:32PM

and think it's the body of Christ. Now, in mormonism, it's strictly symbolic, but what a creepy symbol!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:34PM

I have four wiccan chairs on the patio and they seem pretty normal to me. A little weather beaten, but fine.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: December 06, 2010 02:48PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:49PM

It's fronted by some disaffected former Wiccie who wants to reveal the inner workings and secrets.

Date: December 06, 2010 02:50PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:54PM

I get different lines of magical thinking mixed up.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:58PM

Funny how the people with the majority's brand of psychosis decides the minority ones are mentally ill. They determine which delusions are socially acceptable when all are essentially based on the same type of unreliable evidence.

If people talk to Jesus in their Church- that's normal and mentally sound, don't you know.

If someone sees God in their basement and acts on it then he gets to visit an asylum.

Which one was Joseph Smith? (Hint: they are all the same except they vary in degree and acceptability based on what is the majority view.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.