Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:23AM

It started in high school. All the girls I liked weren't mormon and I didn't want to tell them I had seminary. Most of my friends weren't mormon and I hated telling them too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:26AM

I remember that too - my first remembered act of lying about my parent's religion was to a very pretty nomo baby sitter - she asked me what religion we were and I told her we were baptists.

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:29AM

Try being from Utah and not being Mormon. Then traveling ANYWHERE outside the state and simply indicating you are from Utah. It makes you feel ashamed.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:29PM

I had this problem too, even when I went on my mission. Taking off my missionary tag always felt incredible to me. I hated being seen as a Mormon.
My dad, on the other hand, was so proud to be a Mormon. He was into missionary work, and say things like, "Do you know the meaning of life?" and other Mormon bullshit pick up lines. He's still like that.
And I'm finally out, and being out gives me as much joy as being in brings joy to my dad. I'm ashamed I was once one.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:46PM

if I was more embarrassed than ashamed....

Posted by: Elizabeth, my temple name ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:09PM

where people on the tour hailed from. I was embarrassed to say Utah. I simply said The Good Old USA!
Another person said she was from Utah! (very proudly) The looks on the faces of the group to that response said it all.

I was embarrassed and she was proud.

When a person knows the truth, its downright embarrassing to be affiliated with a church that believes such unscientific doctrine and has such a sordid history.

Posted by: RG001 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 05:17PM

I always say I am from Wyoming, which is partly true. I wnet to school there. Being from Utah just invites questions I'd rather not deal with.

Posted by: dominikki ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 07:17PM

I've learned that the first question I get asked is where I am from, the second, after saying, Utah, is ALWAYS, without exception, am I mormon. Now, when asked where I am from I will answer with I am from Utah, no I am not mormon. I've even seen a bumper sticker that said "Yes I'm from Utah, No I'm not mormon." I really want that bumper sticker!

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 07:21PM

Living in Utah County, I have to admit that one of my larger motives for resigning from the church is that that I could unequivocally/unabashedly and completely honestly have this conversation:

"Where are you from?"
"Utah"
"Are you Mormon"
"No"

instead of

"Where are you from?"
"Utah"
"Are you Mormon"
"Not really. I don't believe it or attend."

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 07:36PM

I'm from Indiana, but I went to college at BYU. Then I moved to Minnesota. When people there asked where I was from, I'd say "Indiana" because that's where I'm from. But if there were any Mormons around, they'd say "No, you're not. You're from Utah." I guess Mormons know where I'm from better than I do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.