Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:29AM

I was reading on another board this morning, a sort of "Mormon PFLAG" where families & friends of Mormon gays are free to exchange information, feelings, etc.

I was profoundly moved my what the daughter of a gay man wrote:

"Don't take your child to a church that will teach her/him to hate you."

I wish I had that perspective when my kids were little. At the time, I thought it could do no harm to encourage them to be active LD$ people.

Today, they don't hate me, but they are continuously exposed to the message that homosexuality & apostacy are sinful. That message is being continued to my grandchildren. It's not much of a stretch to extend that message to hate, for example, at the ballot box.

So, my unsolicited advice for those questioning or exiting Mormonism:

Don't take your child to a church that will teach her/him to hate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:39AM

I agree. Raising children in a non-mystic environment will help reduce the hatred of the "other".

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 11:39AM

I "love" to hear people say, "I love my gay friends and family members and I don't agree with what the lds church says, but I still believe."

Who knew! They like to believe "we" (I'll include myself as my TBM daughter sees me as a sinner--and I really do so love being one) need saving--never thinking we SAVED OURSELVES. It takes a lot of patience some days.

One thing I can say is that my son is not mormon and he and his friends are very supportive of his gay father--many of his friends go to the gay pride parade in SLC, etc. Even if it seems that yoru grandchildren may be raised that way--I do see more and more of the young not accepting the anti-gay messages mormonism teaches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 11:39AM by cl2.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 01:57PM

My own experience tells me mormonism teaches and conditions its members to look down on those that are not TBM and especially those that have left mormonism. The hating and shunning are unbelievable to me.

I have one close relative who was an inactive mormon for many years (when I was active) and then became active after I left. I had a great relationship with him while he was inactive. But, since he became very active in the church, he has become different--very judgemental, holier than thou, and gossips all the time. What can I conclude about the mormon church??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 01:57PM by sam.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 02:56PM

You are so right Papa Ken. The churches new stance is just a P.R. spin to obfuscate the hateful message they teach. Still the old wolf in sheep's clothing.

Anything less than full on love and acceptance still falls in the hate category.

Most of my family is accepting and my partner is always welcome with family, except my area seventy brother.

My TBM sister said after Prop 8 passed that she didn't agree with it and thought is was wrong. She made a special call to tell me that. I appreciated it on some level, but my first thought was "OK, but you believe the mormon leaders behind Prop 8 are god's mouthpieces here on earth. You can't have it both ways, so what you are saying to me is hollow."

This situation with my family rips me to shreds. They show love but they still belong to a church which professes hate for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 02:57PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 04:20PM

Hateful Mormons are everywhere in the area I live in in Utah County. They hate non-members and non-natives and non-conformists so much that I swear the inversions that cover the valley are God's way of saying to Mormons, "Stop doing anything in my name anymore. You're embarrasing me and yourself to the rest of the world. So here, choke on your own pollution for a while."

The more I study their religious culture from an objective and unfaithful perspective, the more I see how much it teaches and encourages hate.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 04:55PM

They hate themselves too, if that helps. Look at how quick they are to dis other Mormons for whatever reason presents itself - whether the reason is true or not. They have no faith in each other or they wouldn't be so quick to find fault with each other and everywhere else.

No matter how you look at it, it's a miserable way to live simply because the whole outlook of Mormonism is pride, judgment, forced conformity and disdaining everyone. So their lives are teeny, tiny dark boxes.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 04:57PM

they are not a happy group of people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.