Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:02PM

Maybe this is an over generalization, but based upon my observations and experiences, it rings true to me.

When I left the LDS Church and fell away from religion all together, my attitude changed dramatically. I saw things differently. I wake each day now in awe at the beauty of the world. I feel more caring and compassionate to others. I feel much more accepting of diversity. I am constantly reminded how great it is to be alive on this amazing planet. Personally, I think this is the BEST of times.

In contrast, I have very religious friends who are constantly complaining about how "evil" the world is. How we are in a downward spiral of sin and corruption. They are very pessimistic of the future with some claiming that the world will be destroyed within decades. They think this is the WORST of times.

I think to myself, "Was I like this when I was religious?" I think I was. I remember feeling that I was one of the few "good" people on the earth just hanging on in world of evilness until the end. I am just so happy that I now view the world without the religion filter. I am the happiest and the most positive I've ever been.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:16PM

Most mystics I know are so pessimistic they think it's a positive thing to look forward to the end of times/world, etc, etc.

They limit themselves to shrinking from perceived "evil" in the world and denying the bright future available through education.

I for one believe that the world is improving and will improve even more as we stand up against mystical traditions, debunk them, and reduce their power in the world.

Posted by: infestednerd ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 12:18PM

I was the same as you. I always thought the world was getting worse, and I always looked down on "sinners".

When I left the church, I started caring more about people, and I stopped using the "spirit" to judge people, and began being more compassionate.

It's funny that so many in the church think that the United States is becoming more and more corrupted. Maybe we should go back to the good ol' days of racial segregation and treating women like 2nd-class citizens.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 01:26PM

I think it's an over-generalization. I'm nevermo but pretty religious and I'm not a pessimist. I'm the poster child for sarcasm & snarkiness but I'm a very cheery snark! :-)

When I think of the members of my church or the parents & teachers at DD's religious school, they're a cheerful, happy bunch. Some churches/parishioners are more dour than others and view this life as a trial to be endured until they die and go to heaven but I don't think they're the majority. As always, your mileage may vary :-)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 06:54PM

Religion creates a disease and then offers the cure.

The pessimism is part of the disease they create (sinners, death, hopelessness without divine intervention, etc.).

The cure is sold which is what the believer sees as overcoming the pessimism.

They don't seem to see that the disease is self imposed and the religion benefits.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 05, 2012 06:56PM

When the Lord comes to destroy the world in fiery apocalypse and turn it into a giant peep stone, that's a good thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.