Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:10PM

http://www.thomassmonson.org/

He enlisted in the United States Navy near the end of World War II, at the age of 18, and served his hitch as a sailor.

At age 22, after his marriage to Frances Beverly Johnson, President Monson was called to serve as the bishop of the Sixth-Seventh Ward in Salt Lake City. Eighty-five widows lived in the ward, and as a young bishop he visited each one regularly, making sure their spiritual and temporal needs were met.

--------------

So here is a 22 year old guy, 4 years after the end of WWII visiting widows. How many of these were war widows? If they were war widows, why is a 22 year old male looking after them when they would be in their late 20s to early 30s?

And, why his obsessive recollection of them giving him their yummy "pies" to eat? Were they really that good, or was eating them exciting and ultimately gratifying?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:15PM

Hmmm. I never thought about the "war widows." Of course they would have been younger.

Let's get a list of all 85 and their ages, kind of like the list of JS wives and their ages ;-)

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:17PM

There is a running cadence in the Marine Corps where "pies" have a slightly different implied meaning.

"I wish all the ladies(widows) were pies on a shelf, and I was the baker. I'd eat 'em them all myself."

I bet that was a cadence in the Navy too.

Monson, you are a sicko.

hahaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 12:22PM by bingoe4.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:18PM

I never really thought about the fact that we always think "widows" means "little old ladies". But at this time in history, chances equally good these were young, hotties. Maybe he's just bragging about being a player, but doing it in code. Rubbing it in our faces the way GBH must have known the first vision was a total hoax but rubbed it in our faces with his constant challenge, knowing we'd never check. Like both the last presidents had their little, inside joke.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:38PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe he's just bragging about
> being a player, but doing it in code.

Well, now that I think about it, what would eating their "pies" be in this code?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 12:39PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:40PM

The longer I'm away, the creepier Monson seems.

In our LDS regional single adults group, there was a former Stake President, a wealthy widower, who would go around from house to house every night and "tuck-in" several widows--tuck them into bed. He bragged about this, and was still revered and admired and called "President." He put his hand up my skirt in the copy room--GAH!

Predatory men like to prey on the helpless--and in Mormon society, widows are considered helpless. This thread puts a new spin on Monson. At best, Monson exploits widows for self-promotion. I don't need that kind of help, thank-you-very-much. Aren't Christians supposed to help anonymously?

As I wrote in another post, widows and other single women need to leave the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 12:42PM by forestpal.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:46PM

after WW2? That is very strange.
And were they war widows?
Seems a bit odd to me to put a 22 yr old X Navy man in charge of 85 war widows in a Ward.
Something is not adding up.
I really need more factual information.

Posted by: SD ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 12:56PM

"American Pie" didn't you? Pies can be "yummy" in more ways than one. This may explain the surgery Tommy had a couple years later to remove an appleseed that had become mysteriously logded in his urethra. I knew it! Monson is a pie pumper.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 01:05PM

Maybe it was less about his colossal spiritual stature (yeah, right) and more about there being a shortage of men.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 03:49PM

Good sub line, Mutt.

Sad commentary though (re so many war dead). (And perhaps the fact that it's not so much spiritual discernment that chooses the leaders but more a case of logistics or whatever works at a given time).

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:33PM

and I could tell you stories that would curl your hair.

Monson gives me the creeps and I haven't met the guy.

Briggy

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 02:42PM

...if it isn't too personal.

Posted by: Weedo ( )
Date: September 27, 2010 03:28PM

I believe if you carefully check Monson's naval service, he was in active service less than one year. He graduated from the UofU at 21, after being discharged from the military. He was a June, class of 45 high school graduate. These are the days before AP and testing out...someone needs to do the math, not the lovely resume from COB.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 05:07PM

Whoa! Why was he discharged so soon?

I mean, there was plenty of work for the navy to do immediately post-war. I'm pretty sure they needed every man they could get.

???

Posted by: rent-a-widow ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:44PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 07:50PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 01, 2010 11:17PM

Ya think Tommy will spin more of his widow yarns with a straight face?

I say no way.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 02, 2010 12:36AM

I guess all the widows are long dead by now so no one can challenge his story.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.