Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 08:21AM

My convert daughter actually took a little video of her son - almost three- and her hubby in church yesterday. I was shocked to see my son in law with a beard-well, 5 days growth at least. Is this acceptable? My daughter is very independent and the video (she shot of them playing a game with their ties -while in the back and just of them) didn't surprise me too much. But the beard did. What is the rule on that? By the way someone said rich people or very popular people may get away with it. HE is definitely not rich and having only been in the area two months he could not be that popular. Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 08:39AM

I am fascinated by the fact most of not all of the MORG leaders pre 1950 had beards...but now it's not acceptable....

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:11PM

After 1950, Jesus came down to the Holy of Holies, and told the profit that beards were evil. It was the first time that a clean shaven Jesus was seen in the temple that day. He said that Eloheim also decided to shave his beard, which was the "first time in five milleniums." In the end, it really depends on the passing fad amongst the council of the Gods. Jesus and Eloheim try to keep up with the God trends.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 08:49AM

In L.A. temple, in early 2000's, a volunteer friend of mine was told to shave his life-long mustache...or else.
He took the "or else", and resigned.

I don't think the "no facial hair" rules are as universally pushed as hard in certain L.A. areas (much more liberal than many areas), but they still exist. Some "show-biz" types claim that long hair, 3-day beard, etc., is part of their job image.

Still, to get certain pd jobs, it still appears the hair must be short and no mustaches/beards.

I suspect your son-in-law will be noticed re. his growth before long (if he goes to pd mtgs.).

Date: May 07, 2012 08:54AM

They didn't stay after sacrament....my grandson felt hot and they left according to my daughter. I called her last eve. and he still had a fever...fairly high. And my son in law is in sales and no insurance. I told her to take him to the Dr.

Date: May 07, 2012 02:02PM

I've been wearing a mustache since I got back from Ricks in 1967....and I know of at least 1 bishop (my cousin) who wore one throughout his calling and ever since....

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 08:50AM

In the UK, back in the late 70's early 80's, I remember we had a bishop with a beard. I cant honestly recall any other bishops or SP's with a beard after that.

having said that, there were a few people with beards within the HP groups and EQ around the stake.

It certainly wasnt something that would stop you from blessing the sacrament..........not like having a non-white shirt, or a loud tie

Date: May 07, 2012 08:55AM

Really? Flashy ties are not allowed?? Mormons are weird.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 09:23AM

It's all about image - when the new bishop in carbondale IL was "called" he routinely wore only a white shirt, slacks and a tie to church mtgs - he was told he needed to start wearing suits so he went out and bought a couple suits.

Clothes, facial hair - these are things the mormon god REALLY cares about. Oh yeah, and money.

Posted by: anonymou5 ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:08PM

I've had a beard for the last 25 years. I was never asked to shave for a calling but I had my excuse ready if they ever asked me to.
"If I'm not worthy to hold this calling with a beard then I'm not worthy with out one either. Perhaps you'd better call somebody else." Then I'd be sure to be clean shaven the next sunday just to show them that I don't have a pro-beard hangup. It's just hair and will grow back. They are the ones with the anti-beard hang up.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:13PM

Although I have never seen a Bp or higher-up wear a beard, I've known two Bishops councilors and a couple EQPrez who have worn beards. Not just the latest trendy goatee either.

When a new StakePrez was installed, he told us that when he called one bearded brother to be his councilor, that he told him the Lord wanted him to shave it off. He did shave it off and as the Sp pointed this out, the look on this mans face was priceless. Were we inspired to be as obedient as the message was intended? No. We were embarrassed for the guy, and some privately hinted that the Sp was a dick.

Note to StakePres... If you know that a man uses a beard to hide an embarrassing facial feature, maybe you don't really need to tell god that you need him to have this man shave.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:45PM

When I was on the high council in east central Illinois in the 1980s I had facial hair. I also had a wardrobe that consisted of a lot more than dark suits. In the summer I routinely wore a white sport coat when I made my ward assignment visit. Nobody seemed to care at that time, including the stake president.

Fast forward to now. I went to my nephew's missionary farewell (or whatever they call them now) in Gilbert, AZ and I wore a white sport coat and did I stick out. Every single man in the congregation had a dark suit except my son and my dad (who's been inactive since McKay was in). I'm sure we stuck out like a sore thumb.

Date: May 07, 2012 02:04PM

I wear black dress shirts any time I attend a MORG funeral...and I'm generally alone in my fashion choice...

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:41PM

Most of the time, when someone is called to be a Bishop, SP, or EQP, the Bishop or SP will ask them to shave a beard. I think this is especially true in Utah.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:44PM

One word.

Conformity.

If they won't dress and look like one, you can't really be trusted.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:50PM

So the beard hating comes mainly from local leadership or has it ever come from higher?

I know having a beard is against the rules at BYUI - not sure about the other campuses? - but always thought that was dumb since it wasn't a church wide rule not to have a beard.

Is it a church wide rule afterall? I only once heard a bishop mention it in a 5th sunday discussion and took it as his own opinion but wasn't sure if the prophet or similar ever commented on it.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:51PM

The anti beard hangup is also strong in the Canadian Morridor ie southern Alberta....a friend who had retired from the military was told to shave off his newly grown facial hair (which suited him, and he had been cleanshaven for his entire military career, per dress and groomin regs) when he received a calling to work in the Cardston Temple. I would have told em to shove their calling where the sun did not shine.

Date: May 07, 2012 11:42PM

I am 9 miles north of the Canadian Moridor...and when the wind blows from the south I can smell all the self righteousness coming from Raymond....or maybe it's the cow$hit coming from 52 Beef....same thing....

Posted by: Horsefeathers ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:56PM

My longtime buddy of over 30 years grew a beard when he retired 11 years ago. He's had it ever since, an Amish type.
Very active in the local ward, a genuine believer married to a gal who has to find a ward on Sundays when they're traveling, has no calling (maybe one reason he keeps it), but apparently manages to weather any storm of pressure to get rid of it.

I don't think it's as widely condemned or as forced an issue with lower level regular members as some do, and we're 40 miles from SLC.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:01PM

I live out in the mission field and my ward's EQP is really cool. He's been growing a beard. Yesterday in church I noticed how it's getting somewhat long and I thought that was great. He also had a short-sleeve purple dress shirt and no tie. My TBM DH and DS wear colored shirts most of the time and have rarely gotten any flack. I wear pants a lot and not one comment. I guess my ward is nicely laid back.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 04:20PM

My FIL had a beard when he was called into a branch presidency and was asked/told to shave it.
On the other hand, my most recent bishop (last year) had a full beard for the entire winter and grows it every winter.
This is in the midwest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 04:21PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 04:31PM

back when I was taking the Sac.....

I preferred to have them 'Pure & Wholesome'; IDK what I wouldda done if I found some (beard) hairs in the water or bread.

That's it from Here, at least for me.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 11:50PM

not long ago wouldn't let men with facial hair attend. They were told to cut it out after complaints to Salt Lake.

As a gay man into scruff I say shave each Monday. A week's worth is just right.

Date: May 08, 2012 02:11AM

I was thinking my Son in law would shave each Sat.eve. or early Sun. morn. to be okay for Sun.when he left for "Church". And then I thought he'd grow the beard all week. Never looked more than 5 days growth when I saw him. Just shocking to think he has no problem looking rather scruffy in that church setting. Maybe he IS still a Jack-Mo.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:15AM

I wonder...do they have the cajones to tell you that extending the calling is Conditional on the Beard thing?

Posted by: dumpweed ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:59AM

it is one of those unwritten rules of the road for certain callings in the church. Apparently it is only enforced in certain instances by local leadership. My bishop, just a few weeks ago, made it sound like it was a universal unwritten law in the church. I suggested a guy in our ward for high priest group leader and got a lecture from the bishop about how he'd really like Brother Bearded One to have the opportunity to serve in a priesthood leadership calling but he just couldn't call him into that position with a beard.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:49AM

This shows (yet again), the strength of cultural imperative in mormon society. Whether its "tradition", "local practice", "bishop's discretion", "folklore", or <insert favorite weasel words here>, it is a thing manifestly to be obeyed, despite the fact that it is "not doctrinal".

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 12:28PM

But the rebellion against authority in the 60's has permanently set their teeth on edge. The morg is still standing strong against the hippies, free love, and equality. Beards, etc. signal a crack in the dike, so they are a no-no.

But time and culture have moved on, leaving the morg stranded like an Edsel in a fast-moving creek.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.