Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:41AM

One of my sisters is married to a guy, who makes her cook all of their food from scratch, including bread. I have heard rumors that one of the break off cults from the main cult enforce this as a rule, and I have heard rumors that the piece of garbage (he also beats my sister) may have family ties to a polygamist group back out west, even though he attends a regular ward with her and their child.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:47AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 11:17AM

Not saying that making your own bread makes you a nut case, but it puts you on a spectrum. Grinding your own wheat for the bread is farther down the spectrum. Using a portable multi-fuel oven to do it is father down the spectrum. Doing all this in a camouflaged bunker in the mountains puts you just the other side of the Unibomber. And remember, he had a PhD in math. Nuts and smart are not mutually exclusive.

I think there is a substantial subculture within Mormonism that would like to be able to survive in a house with no electricity and no water for months on end, living off food storage cooked on alcohol stoves, but most people, even TBMs, are too lazy and/or have a real life, to be able to actually pull that off.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 11:32AM

It's not that he makes her just make the own bread, she has to make everything from scratch.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:35PM

If that's the case, why not just be Amish then?

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:24PM

Maybe he is just a controlling a**hole and wants his wife to make what he enjoys eating?? It also keeps her a LOT busier with housework stuff and she has LESS TIME TO HAVE ANY INDEPENDENT THOUGHTS>just an idea.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:07PM

To make everything from scratch. Does she card, spin, and weave the cloth they wear? Or is his raincoat made of bird intestines like the Inuits? Or cedar bark?

I like having my own grinder, but it is being stored right now. You have to sift the flour to get the finer parts for bread making, or you get a brick.

Do they use sourdough starter for leaven?

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:41PM

This is how my brother leads his family. His wife did make crackers, ketchup, Ranch dressing EVERYTHING from scratch. I don't know if they still do because I don't have anything to do with them. But surviving in a no-amenities home, cabin, or tent would be their dream come true.

I'm not claiming to know why, though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.