Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curious ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:50AM

Is there anyone here that might ahve been there that can report on what happened? this was a conference with Bednar.

Anyway our bp mentioned this in church and spoke how very special and uplifting it was and went on to counsel that we need to bare our testimonies to obtain and strengthen them. How sometimes we don't realize we have a testimony until we bare it to others. He went on to glorify monson as being the only guy to have all keys and authorized to exercise them, but curiously he didn't mention Christ or the Atonement only to close his remarks in His name.

Giving a witness to something you don't have a witness for....isn't that committing purgury and lying in God's name?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:59AM

"...we need to bare our testimonies TO OBTAIN and strengthen them..."

I just get a real funny-bone kick out of this sad state of things "sacred".

If there really is a god (and there isn't) ... but if there was, this type of "worship" is just deplorable and speaks VOLUMES about the type of being that LIKES that type of adoration.

That's almost "Dr. Evil" and "Ming" (from Flash Gordon) funny.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 11:44AM

+100!

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 11:53AM

I still kind of like "bare" as in revealing one's nakedness,

which-giving-a-testimony-sort-of-is-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:30PM

ooooooooh, maybe it was that super - secret, i mean sacred, conference that's supposed to come before the second coming. Where everyone hands back their keys to Jesus or something.

Maybe it's the end of time as we know it....

lol

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:27PM

This was in DC?

It was probably a feeler meeting to see if everyone is onboard with reinstating the council of fifty with Mitt as the anointed king of zion on earth.

Posted by: jfk ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:09PM

Ladies and gentlemen. The very word “secrecy” is repugnant in a free and open society. And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago, that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweigh the dangers which are are cited to justify it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:39PM

Fake it until you make it !

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 02:43PM

I'm reading this book that claims once you make a statement about yourself, especially in front of others, you subconscious will do whatever it takes to make that statement a reality. If you start talking to others about your commitment to healthy eating, for example, you will start automatically making healthy food choices without really thinking about it or being as tempted by junk food. It's the same with a Mormon testimony. If they can get you to stand up and claim one in front of others, you will do everything you can to prove it.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 03:12PM

That is an interesting sounding book. What is the name of it? I have read the same thing many times in books promoting positive thinking and affirmations. The saying of something out loud creates a need to prove it is true by the subconscious mind.

I have also read that when we knowingly lie that our bodies and minds react in a way that causes increased pulse rate, sweating, blushing, anxiety, and dialiating of the pupils. That is all part of how lie detectors work.

So if you bear/bare your testimony then you would feel a burning in the bossom or flush in your face ears and chest from telling a lie....not the holy ghost.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.