Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Just Once ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:15PM

...a quote (or very short response) that shows the lunacy of trusting only one side's position of a debate/argument. For example, only a mormon's explanation of what mormonism is all about.

Mormons would like the general public to believe that they can't trust anyone who gives an opinion contrary to their own. They often say, "If you want to know/learn about mormonism, the only way to get the "real truth" is to ask a mormon or go to one of our official church websites?"

On the surface this sounds reasonable, at least to those who haven't been exposed to the sophistry, obfuscations and and deceits of mormon apologists.

I'll be using this quote (or response) in the "comment sections" of the many on-line articles I respond to, especially when they resort to this tactic. I'd be grateful to anyone who can give me a response that'll blow this tactic up, once and for all.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:17PM

caveat emptor.

Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:19PM

That is why research is peer reviewed. To get a knowledgable other source to test the research and examine the results.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:26PM

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it." - Chris Farley

"If you want to learn more about brainwashing, don't consult the brainwashed" -I just made this up

"If you want to know/learn about mormonism, the only way to get the 'real truth' is to ask a practicing mormon, then ask an ex-mormon, and see where their accounts agree. Or go to one of our official church websites and compare it with Mormonthink.com to see which side gives the more objective opinion." -I just made this up too.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 12:41PM

"If we compare the historical, prophetical, and doctrinal parts of the Book of Mormon with the great truths of science and nature, we find no contradictions - no absurdities - nothing unreasonable. The most perfect harmony therefore exists between the great truths revealed in the Book of Mormon and all other known truths, whether religious, historical, or scientific"

LDS Apostle Orson Pratt
Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon, p. 56

here another relevant quote:

"If Joseph Smith was a deceiver, who willfully attempted to mislead the people, then he should be exposed; his claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false, for the doctrines of an impostor cannot be made to harmonize in all particulars with divine truth. If his claims and declarations were built upon fraud and deceit, there would appear many errors and contradictions, which would be easy to detect. The doctrines of false teachers will not stand the test when tried by the accepted standards of measurement, the scriptures... The world has been unable to place a finger upon anything that is inconsistent or out of harmony in the revelations to Joseph Smith, with that which has been revealed before, or predicted by the prophets and the Lord Himself"

President Joseph Fielding Smith (10th prophet)
Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. I, p. 188-189

via utlm.org website

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 01:20PM

Just Once Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mormons would like the general public to believe
> that they can't trust anyone who gives an opinion
> contrary to their own. They often say, "If you
> want to know/learn about mormonism, the only way
> to get the "real truth" is to ask a mormon or go
> to one of our official church websites?"
>
> On the surface this sounds reasonable, at least to
> those who haven't been exposed to the sophistry,
> obfuscations and and deceits of mormon
> apologists.

The funny thing about this, it's talking to a Mormon that often leaves more questions. They're not always very forthright and of course they want to paint a pretty picture. For me, I was being told one thing, but my personal observations were completely different. I couldn't get these two conflicting issues to mesh together and ended up getting online to find these answers. Asking a Mormon isn't necessarily the best direction.

It's really no different from seeking a second opinion for medical issues. You do your research before you buy a car, a house, TV, computer. We've all heard the analogy, would you talk to a Ford dealer about a Toyota? Well, yeah! You might already be in love with this car, you already know the good parts. It's bad parts you have to worry about. Before moving into my home I did a few neighborhood drive-by's at different times of the day. Looking at the home in the day on a weekday when everyone is away at work is fine, but driving by on a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon is going to clue you in on if your potential new neighbors are obnoxious or if there are other problems. Talk to the residents who are out and about and see how they feel about the neighborhood, the school and whatnot.

So no quotes, I just wanted to share my opinion here. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.