Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olive ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 03:54PM

This happened last Tuesday and I've been meaning to post about it. I work at the county public library and am used to having missionaries come in to use the free internet. Last Tuesday, 4 missionaries came in and signed up on our signup computer. I recognized the two missionaries that I usually see. They never really bother anyone but I have on occassion seen them talk to someone in the library who approaches them. Anyways, anyone who works in a library will tell you that viewing inappropriate material is a pretty big problem in the library. I've even caught a guy having a "party for one" so to speak. We're try to be vigilant about making sure that people aren't looking at things without being nosy. So usually just a quick glance at the screen and if there's nothing wrong just moving on.

I had 6 computers facing me and 3 of the missionaries were on those computers. I noticed the regular lds.org website and moved on. About 20 minutes later I was looking up again and was surprised to see that one of the missionaries was pulling up photos that appeared to be saved on a flashdrive. I saw the regular "baptism" photos and then he pulled up photos of shirtless young men who appeared to be the 2 new missionaries. I'm not kidding, I was thinking "what the heck?" He had probably about 10-15 of these photos of the guys with their shirts off in various poses of flexing muscles and laying down, etc. Then, their internet time was over and they all left.

Umm, so I don't guess that this is a common thing in missions? The missionary didn't seem to be concerned that he was looking at these things with people all around him so I'm guessing it wasn't "forbidden" or anything. I just thought it was pretty odd thing for a missionary to have taken pictures of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 04:00PM

Maybe they were trying out for Chad Hardy's 2011 men on a mission calendar.

Or just being 19 year old boys who take pictures of each other posing and flexing. Seems innocent to me based on normal standards.

Mormon mission standards... Call the president ASAP.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 04:09PM

There was a missionary who could basically fart at will by sucking air in then blowing it out but he had to be bent over to do it, luckily I never was privy to these demonstrations.
One time I was flipping through the photo album of a missionary who had been his companion or was in his district. Anyway, there were a couple of pictures of this fart-producing missionary bent over like he would be while doing it only he was naked. This was about 10 years ago, so it was a time when you had to take film in and have it developed. I could only imagine what someone thought of the missionaries if they happened to see the photos while being processed.

Maybe I was too naive coming from a somewhat isolated part of Utah but seeing some of the things missionaries did on the mission didn't help me have a positive view of the mission or the church...good riddance.

There were also some very, very vain missionaries who would workout all the time and take their shirts off any chance they could get. They also had pictures of themselves like that etc., so it's not surprising what you saw.

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 06:18PM

The pictures were probably just him and other missionaries trying to have some fun and taking shirtless pictures in poses like that were more of a joke than anything. It's probably completely harmless.

If word got out to the MP though, there would probably be hell to pay. The missionary might have caught "the gay" and was giving the church a bad name.

The church overreacts to things like these all the time. A friend of mine was almost disqualified to serve a mission because of a picture his bishop saw on his Facebook. It was him sitting in a male friends lap and them making kissy faces at each other. Completely harmless, just 2 guys taking funny pictures while at a party or something. But still the guy had to have multiple interviews, remove the photo, etc. So ridiculous.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 06:32PM

Thats what he gets for friending his Bishop.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 07:02PM

and I swear one was sooo gay. The other...maybe too. Not that I care, but the church is anti-gay, so I wonder how many missionaries are in the closet so to speak.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.