Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 06:53PM

No other person has asked me if I'm Catholic, Lutheran, Muslim etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2012 06:53PM by 48erhater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 06:56PM

Where do you live?

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 07:04PM

I have been hassled by all manner of religionists.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 08:45PM

Here in the southern Bible Belt, it is common for people to ask you "What church do you belong to?"

They don't ask you IF you belong to a church.

They ask you WHAT CHURCH you belong to.

They are quite shocked if you answer "Mormon." Some don't know what a Mormon is. Others know the Mormons as a non-Christian cult. Alot of times, they are rabidly anti-Mormon. A few (but not many) know other Mormons -- usually decent sorts of poeple -- and as a result, have no problem when you say you are Mormon.

Posted by: Atheistmom ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 09:22PM

Moved to Dallas recently and was shocked at how often I am asked what church I go to. It's normal,casual conversation here. I think it's rather intrusive. My new OBGYN asked me what church I attend- while doing the exam, as if something in my vagina depended on that little detail. The first couple of times I answered with, "we're atheists.". I got shock and awe faces. One lady dropped her fork as her eyes bulged out and she exclaimed, "you're a what?!?". I now say, "we aren't religious," just to save myself the time. Guess it depends on where you live.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 09:49PM

people in utah don't ask if you are mormon they ask if your a member of THE church, like theres only 1 church

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:02PM

Posted by: seutnevermo ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:19PM

They ask me, "What ward do you go to?" not even referring to THE church. A big assumption!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:24PM

"Do you mean like mental wards? No, I'm quite sane, thanks."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 04:24PM by helamonster.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:15PM

I have a lot of people from different religions ask me this question. Sort of. Whenever new people ask me where I moved here from and I say Utah, the next thing they ask is, "Utah, really? Are you a mormon?"

I love saying no. Sometimes I have to remind myself to say it politely and avoid the eye-roll.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:34PM

I know many people ask a person what their religion is (especially in the south). But only mormons assume you might be part of their religion while other people know you might not be a part of their religion.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:43PM

What I do not like is the reference to "the church" meaning mormon church. This is mostly Utah and around mormons. Outside of Utah, it is totally different. Mormon is not even in the discussion. But, if you are in the south-bible belt-I would imagine that it is just Christian--being saved. If you are in an area with a predominant religion, then you will get questions from that religion. So, it has to be different in every region of the country. Within the cult, it is church this and church that, he or she would make a good cult member, the cult is this and the cult is that and we are going to Celestial Kingdom--too bad for all those sorry people that will not, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.