Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 09:40PM

was a big turning point for me. i was only a young girl (13 or 14 i believe) i was there as a voulnteer putting slippers on ungrateful, rude people, treating us girls like we were nothing. i was in a pretty bad mood when it was time to leave. outside on the sidewalk this guy smiled at me. it was the first genuine smile i recieved all night. i asked him what he was handing out. he gave me a brochure about mormoism being a cult. i read it and had alot of questions that noone could answear. i was already pretty much out but i want to publicly thank that stranger go changing the course of my life

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 07, 2012 09:47PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:18PM

My nephew lived in Idaho at the time of the bountiful temple opening and they had carpools taking the kids down, but nobody wanted to make room for my nephew. He ended up going down with a family as the only YM's age kid and then they were going to visit family and he didn't have a ride home until the next day. Luckily, we had family who could go get him who live in Utah.

It was episodes like this that sent all 3 of my sister's kids out of the lds church.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:38PM

it seems like there was always one kid that the other kids would leave out and the leaders wouldn't mind. i was that kid sometimes being poor and having a nomo dad made me a total outsider.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:45PM

jenn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it seems like there was always one kid that the
> other kids would leave out and the leaders
> wouldn't mind. i was that kid sometimes being poor
> and having a nomo dad made me a total outsider.

Yes, I was one of those too. My mom was a divorced mother and we moved from Idaho to Provo in the 1960's. The ward treated us like aliens of some kind.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:51PM

rationalguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jenn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > it seems like there was always one kid that the
> > other kids would leave out and the leaders
> > wouldn't mind. i was that kid sometimes being
> poor
> > and having a nomo dad made me a total outsider.
>
> Yes, I was one of those too. My mom was a
> divorced mother and we moved from Idaho to Provo
> in the 1960's. The ward treated us like aliens of
> some kind.

Date: May 07, 2012 10:54PM

yeah maybe we should be grateful to them. maybe if i had true friends in tssc then i might have stayed longer and got even more confused

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:10AM

my dad was pretty much inactive and we were treated as the outcasts. Only one of my siblings is TBM (of 6), only 1 grandchild (who happens to be my daughter). My sister's 3 kids were all treated poorly when they moved from New Mexico to Idaho (started out in Utah). My sister is "TBM" and her kids all consider it a cult (my niece was the first to state cult to me in my life). Interesting thing about it is--their dad has always been in higher callings like bishop--but they were still ostracized.

Posted by: branandco ( )
Date: May 07, 2012 10:27PM

that was the weekend my parents traveled north and I had a big Party at my house. It was drinking and debaucery for 2 straight days. Oh it was wonderful!

Posted by: archaeologymatters ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:59AM

I was at that temple dedication. Remember liking the fact I got to leave school. Other than that do not really remember it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.