Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:32PM

I grew up believing that there is no happiness outside the church, but it's absolute lie. Last night I made my weekly trek to my favorite club and had the time of my life...like I always do. Those people, along with myself, are all truly very happy, and a good number of them are former LDS as well. Many of us have one thing in common as well - we have been completely abandoned by our families over our sexuality. However, we have found love and acceptance from our friends, and it's a wonderful feeling. Dancing, drinking, and thoroughly enjoying ourselves is the reason we go, and I feel closer to those people than to my TBM family. So, I no longer have any doubt that there are millions and millions of extremely happy people outside of the church, and it brings me great satisfaction in knowing that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:34PM

Yep, all the light-mindedness, loud laughter and stuff has a nifty side to it, now don't it? :)

Ron

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 07:45PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, all the light-mindedness, loud laughter and
> stuff has a nifty side to it, now don't it? :)
>
> Ron

The padawan is learning slowly, youngling.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:35PM

I hate to say it--because I've been so scared being in this "new" relationship for almost 6 years now, but we are making plans for me to move in with my boyfriend (a state away) in the near future. I need to stay here while my dog is still alive and then my "ex" will live in the house with our son, but ever since we got it squared away--all the talking about it, I can't stop smiling this afternoon. This is the man I fell in love with at age 20, but didn't marry because he was not a mormon. I am 53. Like I said, I can't stop smiling.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:25PM

Wow! That's great news cl2 you should start a thread about it. I'm really happy for you.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:48PM

You have waited a long time for this kind of happiness. Best wishes!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:02PM

I told someone on another board that I take their word for it when they say they're happy. Then I added that I don't actually feel the need to believe they are secretly unhappy just to make myself feel better about my own life. I wonder if he got the message. (That's not being passive/aggressive, is it?)

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:34PM

I don't see how this parroted line could possibly work outside Utah and the corridor.

If you live outside Utah, is this something you hear?

The Utah Bubble creates a safe place for such quaint little couplets to remain plausible and, therefore, unquestioned.

Without that artificial barrier to the real world, I can't see how a Mormon could buy into it. It must cause a little stress for Utah Mormons who leave the corridor. If they allow themselves the opportunity to notice that many folks are perfectly happy with their lives.

But, yeah, it bothers me no end when I encounter such silly notions. You have to be willfully unobservant to believe such a stupid thing.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:52PM

I live in California and have never been asked if I was "happy." It's personal. People say "How are you?" in all it's colorful variants, but I would definitely be taken aback if someone asked me if I were "happy" except a family member.

Or a Jehovah Witness.

Anagrammy

Date: December 06, 2010 09:20PM

LOL! So true.

Mostly, though, I don't think Mormons actually bother to ask you if you are happy. They just assume you couldn't possibly be happy because you're not Mo. Boy. That circular logic just ties up into a nice little bow, doesn't it?

Date: December 06, 2010 08:38PM

OH! And congrats to you Wendell. So glad you have found a community where you can be yourself. Well done!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 08:52PM

Congrats, Wendell for the brave steps you have taken, resulting now in your enjoying life being who you are!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 08:52PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 09:10PM

I am a straight woman who has refused to get intimate with any of the Mormon garment-wearing Priesthood-bearing male chauvinists I knew. (gag) Because of that, some people thought I was a lesbian, or, at best, too picky.

I stayed too long in Utah, for the sake of my career and my children, and never did meet any decent single men--but my sexuality is none of anyyone's business. It is rude to ask such questions! What does sexuality have to do with how good a parent you are, or with your career?

I'm happiest with my single women friends, who are mostly widowed and divorced, and we actually feel guilty about the fun we have! Mormons look at us with pity. It's like there's some unwritten law that a person has to be in a sexual relationship in order to be happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 09:13PM by motherwhoknows.

Posted by: I'm Happy! ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 09:31PM

It's like when they assume you can't REALLY be a good man if you don't hold the priesthood. Or, at the very least, you may be okay without it, but having it would make you even better. *puke*

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 09:51PM

The myth goes that while others appear happy they don't know what they're missing. They don't have the "Godspell"; they don't go to the "Truoo Church" and have the "Spirit", they don’t have the “Priesthood” and the “eternal” reward program of the “one truoo Church”, so they’ll never have eternal families or live in the celestial kingdom.

Our happiness is worldly and only superficial; it will never bring the eternal rewards that being a Member of a Cult brings.

They are salvation snobs, thinking to themselves “laugh it up now in your mortal life” because you’ll be sorry for eternity and we Mormons will be proven right. HA

God, if they only knew what a waste of time Mormon superstitious nonsense really is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.