Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C. ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:49AM

"This app's permissions have changed to have access to the following:

"Phone calls
Read phone state and identity
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. An app with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

"Your personal information
Read Sensitive Log Data
Allows an application to read from the system’s various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the device, potentially including personal or private information."

I get these notices among others when I go to the LDS Gospel Libary in the Android Market. Do they mean that the church can discover my phone number and other personal information about me if I download this app?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:01PM

Probably, but every app is a sacrifice of your privacy...I don't see though that it would be any more intrusive than the "Minor League Baseball" app I recently downloaded....

The whole smartphone is designed to steal your private info for marketing purposes.

Posted by: PeacePrincess ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 03:22PM

...and if your Smartphone just happens to have GPS functionality, you're twice as screwed!

Date: May 09, 2012 10:21AM

For marketing purposes? The app is free. I don't understand why google lets third parties have access to personal information.

Date: May 09, 2012 10:35AM

"...and if your Smartphone just happens to have GPS functionality, you're twice as screwed!"

For that reason I usually have the GPS on my phone turned off. I don't want others to be able to track my movements. A few times I have turned it on when I really needed it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.