Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:38PM

... are actually trying to change our minds? Or are they hoping that their posts will deter doubters who come here for more information?

I don't mean the trolls who are actively being... well, trollish. I mean the ones who politely respond to a thread about whether TSCC makes money off the pageants with a calm (though doubtfully accurate) description of the income vs expenditure, then wraps it all up with "but it doesn't matter anyway because even if they're ripping us off the church is true and awfully special."

I can understand the end game with trolls. I mean, it's stupid. And pointless. And immature. But I can understand it.

But I can't make heads of tails of these uber polite TBM posters. What's the point?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 01:55PM

Just my opinion: if they are trolls, they'll be run off. If they are polite, their sticking around will be tolerated. So long as they can stick around, they can try to control the message, or have some control over the message to try to neutralize the potentially harmful (to the church) information shared here.

I could be wrong, I'm just a cynic, so that's the perspective through which I view the "polite" TBMs.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 02:57PM

If they are trolls, they are already breaking the rules. They aren't supposed to be reading anti-mormon material. It can only add to their cognitive dissonance. One step closer to getting out.

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 03:56PM

Or perhaps they are just well meaning Mormons who are trying to either see the other side's point of view or to reconvert ex-mos if possible (because they mean well or because that makes them feel more righteous, whatever).

A lot of them are probably like how a lot of you ex-mos were a few years ago, come to think of it. Sure, some may have non-friendly motives, but it's better to err on the side of giving people chances.

Even this forum get so keen on dividing people into pro- or anti- mormons sometimes I wonder if some hadn't forgotten that one doesn't have to be either. Generically speaking.

Posted by: bc ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:00PM

As far as why post, I think it would be a - hey I have accurate first-hand experience - I'll share it.

To me an interesting question follow up question is why they would be here in the first place? Which I'm sure varies widely. Some with apologetic tendencies would be here for "research". Some are probably here on accident. Some are probably here out of curiosity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.