Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:41PM

the MALL cost $5 BILLION

There are 14 million members

Instead of building the mall, the church could have given every member over $300,000,000.

And that's counting inactives, children and dead people.

I'd have been happy with a puny one million.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon this ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:42PM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:43PM

Nope. 5 B divided by 14 M is $357.00.

Posted by: geekchick ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:44PM

5,000,000,000 / 14,000,000 = 360 (approx)

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:45PM

From nice house to nice dinner in one thread.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 07:28PM

And if OP can't spot an answer that is wrong by a factor of a million, accounting is probably not a good career choice!

Just sayin'

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 10:21AM

I'm not good with zeros.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:47PM

LOL

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 04:52PM

if every member, 14 million plus as the LDS Inc Liars claim, gave the church 1 dollar then it would get 14 million dollars and change.

if every member gave the church 1 000$ then the church would get 14 billion $ and change or nearly 15 billion.

5 (billion) is 1 third of 15 (billion)

1 third of 1000 is 333 ($) and 33 cents.

Its a math thing.

Posted by: molarkey ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 05:00PM

5 billion... is five thousand million

sounds better to credit the mall costing five thousand million dollars.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 05:06PM

But as every mormon knows, you can drive much farther than 60 miles in an hour if you're driving 60 miles per hour -- especially if you can run really fast. So, the morg probably only spent about $253 per member on the mall because they eat so much green jello.

I hope this makes everyone feel just a little better about the Morg's Mall.

Posted by: rosemary ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 10:58AM

*snort*

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 05:04PM

A SINGLE full-tithing househould pays the utilities on a church. Another one or two pays the ward budget.
The rest is siphoned off by HQ to pay for temples, CES salaries, GA salaries, missionary overhead, and that's almost all of it.
They only need a handful of tithing households to make a ward profitable. That's why they pretend to care about "the one", when really it's because they only need onesies to keep the church going.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 09:09PM

they pretend to care about "the one" while really caring about the tithing paid by "the one."

I saw this when I got divorced. I was the one doing my ex's church job PLUS mine-- and when we split they fawned over him, fearful of losing his tithing.

All my status was gone even though my ex was violent. I was "blamed" even though I had to protect my children and even though they full well knew that he was nonfunctional as a father, continually leaving small children places where they were unsafe.

Still he was a tithepayer, so my point is they care about the MALE "one."

All these extra women...not so much.

Anagrammy

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 09:16PM

I'm sorry for what happened with your divorce.

Although I don't doubt that they fawned over your husband I doubt it was about tithing - the local leaders don't care much about tithing - they don't get any of it. I think it boils down simply to chauvinism which is reinforced all throughout LDS history & doctrine.

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:23PM

It still boggles my mind that they were able to spend 5 billion on a mall in Utah. Has this number been fully confirmed? I'm a project manager by trade and I work with some big budgets, and I just don't know how they could spend that much.

I think I could have St Peters in Rome dismantled and shipped to Utah and rebuilt for less..

Compare the costs of the mall of america expansion..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_of_America

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:39PM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=19428181&title=a-look-inside-as-city-creek-centers-completion-nears&s_cid=featured-1

SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Chamber says $5 billion have gone into the revitalization of downtown Salt Lake City, and a major part of that is soon to open in the new City Creek Center.
The project is nearly finished, and H. David Burton — presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the man who has overseen City Creek from the beginning — anticipates the center's Mar. 22 grand opening will be just that: grand.
"We feel terrific. We've accomplished, we think, what we set out to accomplish."
–H. David Burton, LDS Church presiding bishop

"Every time I come over here, I think about the vision President (Gordon B.) Hinckley had for this endeavor,"

*edit*
SLC, Utah or SL County did not bond for any of the project as far as I know. The only outfit with that kind of money in the downturn was The mighty MO Church.
The only think the city and state gave were tax relief- not cash. Until someone proves different only LDS could have afforded this palace in the sky.

Date: May 08, 2012 11:40PM

ps what is a major part?

"and a major part of that is soon to open in the new City Creek Center."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:42PM

A lot of posters get the $5B in their heads and can't get it out, but it was said in passing in an interview that downtown SLC, UT is currently undergoing a bit of a renovation the TOTAL of which is about 5 billion. A large part of that 5 billion is the City Creek Center. So, no, the mall didn't cost 5 billion. I'm pretty sure it was between $1.5 billion (what they announced on KSL.com & desnews - both mormon sources) and $2.5 billion (just a guess).

Nevertheless......

When you can build the new World Trade Center smack there in lower Manhattan for $3.8 billion and this tiny (by comparison) little, itty bitty mall and a few condos and a smattering of office space is costing $2 BILLION in the middle of BFE????

Something is really screwy.

Date: May 09, 2012 12:06AM

SLC and SL County DID not fund 2.5 billion for the rest of the development- the money was not there to be had.
IT didn't happen. If it had the taxpayer would have been in on it and bonded for it.The economy was in a nosedive when this went down.There was not 2.5 billion to be borrowed. The tscc is buying up RE and developing as fast as they can.
Except for a hundred mill or( Taubman ent.) its got to be LD$.

Someone please show me where Salt Lake City. State of Utah, County, anybody besides LDS funded any part of the down town development. When they do I'll shut up.

Posted by: n0rmon ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 11:38PM

Can someone direct me to the source where it says THE Church spent "5 Billion dollars" on the mall "alone"? I'm having trouble finding it and everywhere I read seems to say they spent 1.5 billion dollars on the mall. A total of 5 billion dollars on the reconstuction of DT SLC but I don't recall that being part of TSCC bill.. Thanks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.