Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 08:58PM

1. Do you have to resign if you want to baptised another relgion?
2. How do I find out my member id #
3. How do I know what ward I should be in? Is this where I would send my resignation?
Thanks any advice or answers is greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 09:06PM

1. No - unless the other religion requires it, which would be weird

2. Not easily unless you find out where your ward is and ask the ward clerk. You probably don't need it to resign. Just your name , address, & birth date would probably be sufficient.

3a. Go here: http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,4905-1,00.html

Note: If you were to send your name/address/phone in to church headquarters they will do the work for you and send your bishop your way.

3b. The fastest way to get your resignation processed is to take a written letter and meet with your bishop - hopefully for about 10 minutes, but the wrong bishop could make it much more lengthy and drawn out. If you don't want to talk to anyone you can just send it in to church head quarters and wait for a couple of months and dodging the bishop during that time. If you are intimidated by talking to the bishop this is the way to go - if you want it done quick go meet with the bishop.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 09:09PM

I followed the directions here. It was easy.

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/nameremovalletter.htm

Yes you can be baptised in another faith if it is mainstream Christian. They don't acknoeledge your membersip in LDS as meaningful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 09:11PM by suckafoo.

Date: May 08, 2012 09:13PM

This information is pretty good, but a little dated - for example you can just email it in now. If you search on this site you will find tons of info - Richard Packham's site also has a good template and explanation of how to leave.

Also I would disagree with putting anything in the letter about why you don't believe and are leaving.

If you talk to the bishop never at anytime get into why you don't believe or are leaving. Just leave it at I don't believe and I want to resign - I don't want to talk about why I just want to resign.

Unless of course you want to have a lengthy why you don't believe discussion with the bishop - then go for it.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 09:41PM

Yeah I agree it is dated. Worked and I was out faster than a lot of emailers.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:02PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also I would disagree with putting anything in the
> letter about why you don't believe and are
> leaving.

Resignation is an intensely personal experience some people might find it cathartic to explain their reasons.

>

Date: May 08, 2012 10:10PM

Yep - thus the statement:

"Unless of course you want to have a lengthy why you don't believe discussion with the bishop - then go for it."

The issue is if you go down the path of explaining why, then you are opening up a potential can of worms with the bishop. If you want that can of worms open then it works. You don't have to explain yourself if you don't want to - you can if you want to.

Posted by: jenn ( )
Date: May 08, 2012 10:34PM

oh i am such a people pleaser even to a bishop i know i can not handle such a debate. for one i cry easily. thats why i've never resigned

Date: May 08, 2012 10:52PM

Sounds like you ought to go the church headquarters and avoid the bishop route.

There isn't any really big need to resign if you don't want to - with that said I'm really glad I did.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.