Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goat ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 12:19AM

I haven't told anybody that i've decided to slip out yet, ... anybody being my family back home in Utah or my wifes family back home in Utah. They sent a gift to my daughter for her first birthday of a small triple combination and a note on the front cover that said something to the effect of "Always read your scriptures and choose the right so that we can be together forever."

I hate that. All it takes is reading your scriptures. If you read your scriptures then you've earned a reward far greater than 99.999% of the world. If you don't then you'll never see us again.

I don't know why, but that inscription and the present just really set me on edge and now i'm just angry

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Flare ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:38AM

You are perfectly justified in feeling hurt and outraged at that present. I would be.

Consider asking the family to NOT send any religiously-themed presents to your kids from now on.

Recommend they send a Michael's or JoAnn's gift card instead so you two can buy craft supplies to spend quality time together instead. Can they argue with that?

Posted by: BI ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 06:56AM

YIKES! Sounds familiar though we're thankfully past that stage now. Even after (or especially after) you tell them, they'll probably douse you in religious gifts. I just threw them away. When it comes to my kids, I am especially allergic to any form of indoctrination. Perhaps I should have sent them books from Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens as thanks. ;) If your parents are anything like my folks, then it'll be tough and only slowly get better ... by degrees. I think I finally made the point when I compared their asking my children to fold their arms and bow their heads during a blessing on the food to expecting them to kneel with their heads touching the ground during a Muslim prayer. GASP! Things have improved over the past two decades and considering the fact that I was the first out of a loooooong line of believers, I think they're doing pretty good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.