Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 01:45AM

A story about the Mormons posthumously baptizing Dutch royals has hit the wire last night:

http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/5091/Religie/article/detail/3252419/2012/05/08/Mormonenkerk-gaf-Oranjes-postume-doop.dhtml

"Trouw" is a national newspaper and this morning, several other national news outlets have picked up the story.

Of course, the church blames "overenthousiastic members" but I have already posted a rebuttal on my blog and put in a comment with a link at the newspaper's website (not through moderation yet):

http://www.mormonisme.nl/2012/05/individuele-leden-of-kerkelijk.html

All articles are in Dutch, of course, but the quotes refuting the claims of "overenthousiastic members" are in English. Enjoy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 01:47AM

refer this to the 'New' head of LDS, Inc.

his initials are MR (I won't mention his Name)...

Date: May 09, 2012 03:48AM

Our local 69-er (area authority wanna-be 70) was on the radio lying his ass off (or, in other words, following the PR-department's script). All the major news outlets have picked it up and it's a trending topic on Twitter in Holland.

Damn those overenthousiastic members...

Date: May 09, 2012 06:41AM

Just bought the hardcopy newspaper. It's all over the front page (and I mean "all over" with a big pic of the SLC temple). And there's another article on page 8 AND 9. And there will be a follow-up article tomorrow.

The angle of one article is that people posthumously become mormons because national and regional archives allow the mormons to scan these archives for free. The archives are funded with public money. Some of them have now stated they will reconsider allowing the mormons access.

This is a better result than I had hoped. No more indexing in Holland, you morons!

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 06:52AM

That is funny. Those McTemples aren't going to looked well upon in Europe.

Date: May 09, 2012 07:02AM

We have one in Holland, which is not even used one day per week (they're open every day but if you count the number of sessions per endowment room, they could do it all in less than a day). But it has very pretty lights at night, which is the main purpose of McTemples: presence and PR-value.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 08:55AM

How did they find it? I thought access had been tightened.

Date: May 09, 2012 08:59AM

That's what good journalists do: research. They put screenshots of the LDS ordinance section of FamilySearch on the frontpage (on colour, yes ma'm). They may have been tipped off by a certain exmo who knew some people who had access before they tightened it... ;-)

BTW, the story got picked up by the German press now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 09:03AM by rt.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 09:18AM

Well this finally made me make a descision not to do indexing.
Ever again. I don't want to be any type of a part in this.

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 09:18AM

to embarrass the hell out of the cult. Her Holland-born, now American mother who's serving with FIL on their second mission, probably not so much. ;-)

"I'm from Holland! Isn't that vierd?!" - Goldmember

Date: May 09, 2012 01:18PM

They just interviewed our area 69-er. He went on national TV wearing unbuttoned shirt and a sleeveless down jacket. He didn't look like a GA yet (at 2:25):

http://www.eenvandaag.nl/swf/player.swf?videoID=b1446&external=0

At least the shirt was white and the garment is clearly discernable for insiders...

Posted by: anonofthis ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 01:44PM

We need Holland to give the spin on this one.........pun intended

Date: May 09, 2012 02:10PM

Very funny.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 01:56PM

When royalty owes you a favor for getting them into the CK, you can have a very influential circle of friends.

Posted by: rt not logged in ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:47PM

Im having an orgasm here. questions being asked in parliament. Talk of forbidding the archives to cooperate with church. Even talk of forbidding religious groups from performing posthumous ceremonies (granted, this is a stretch). Keep you posted.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 04:53PM

and the Hits just keep on rollin'...

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 05:10PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.