Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Not Logged in ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 05:51AM

So lately I have been meeting a lot of ex-mormons (or whatever you want to call us...normal people?) talking about their experiences with trying to find other churches to go to.

And I've really been pondering why these people would want to go to other churches. I understand that people are just curious and want to check it out, but the folks who actually want to switch religions...it doesn't make sense to me. t mean, haven't they realized that institutionalized religion is sort of a bad thing?

For me, growing up in the church and the experiences I've had trying to leave it have taught me to stay way clear of any unified group of people who believe in any sort of god.

What are your thoughts?
If you do, what makes you want to switch churches?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robin ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 06:53AM

I wasn't ready to give up on god yet. I wanted to take communion. It was a process to work out the kinks. I no longer believe, but I do think it helped me during a grieving process while I buried the god that I had known and loved.

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 07:02AM

Actually, there are so many good churches as I am discovering. It is a great social outlet for kids and you just need to find something that is comfortable to your individuality. I would try a Unitarian, but I still have a TBM husband. It isn't happening. There are family integrated churches where you can be together and therefore listen to what your kids are being taught. I like the music. To be honest I didn't like the drum playing bands initially. It was just way too much to adjust to when you love the hymns, but it has been a year and I am over the initial anger of finding out the lies the church is based on and the corporation it has become. I am ready to branch out and just learn from other people. I have discovered that it is actually wonderful to have a paid ministry because they spend time preparing a Great message as opposed to some random member throwing something together the day before. It is uplifting and thought provoking. My experience so far is that the Pastors are not judgemental and this is what you have to believe or do. There are a lot of crazy churches out there too. In my other post I mentioned walking out of that obvious made up speaking in tongues. Crap. You also have to watch out for the hellfire and damnation churches. I think those are evangelical but I am not sure. As for believing in GOD, well some of us prefer the comfort of believing in an afterlife.

Posted by: exmollymo ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 08:47AM

As a Christian, I think it's pretty messed up that Joseph Smith had to ruin a good thing. He doesn't have the corner on the Christian religion, and there a lot of good and wonderful churches out there. There are also a lot of crappy ones. My experience in the LDS church has made me a lot more cynical of churches, but I'm just more careful now.

I'm not more cynical of God and Jesus - just the people who profess to be Christians. Don't blame Jesus for what Jospeh Smith did.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 10:14AM

Can I add -- Don't blame Jesus for what Paul did.

It's my opinion that Chritianity would have been a lot better off and would have developed a lot differently (and better) had Paul not been it's early principle cheerleader.

All in all, I think that Jesus' message was pretty good. No better, no worse than say Confusious. It was the garbage that Paul added that really stunk it up. I have no problem equating Paul and Joseph Smith at all.

I took the common path -- BIC mormon, ex-mormon christian, agnostic, atheist, and I find I am now at peace, finally.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 09, 2012 08:59AM

when we left. I think it's worth looking into that part of our national culture a little - before walking away from all of it.

A lot of us believed that old myth about not being able to raise kids or be part of the community without a church.

Not all of us were born with perfect knowledge of all things. The process of leaving is complex.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.