Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jenlyn ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:23AM

So in my cul-de-sac of 6 houses...three of my neighbors are Mormon...none of which knew me as Mormon. Anyway, one of them is so sugary nice (you know the type...), the husband gave my husband a BofM awhile back (which is sitting on the water heater gathering dust), and they always bring us over little goodie baskets, etc. I think they must have us targeted for project conversion or something... We fit the perfect mold...young, newlywed, seemingly well-off, and most importantly, white. They invited to their Stake's rendition of Handel's Messiah...and my husband wanted to go. So I did, secretly begrudgingly, praying my husband wouldn't hear that still smell voice...I felt like I had walked into the twilight zone! Everybody dressed nearly the same, no clapping after the performances...etc. I knew my husband was safe when he leaned over and said "for a place this big, their sound system sucks!". The other weird part of the evening was a couple I swore had to be polygamist newlyweds... A guy in about his mid- to late-forties, and a young girl who looked about twenty... Acting all young and in love, yet he also acted fatherly towards her ... Gross!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:21AM

Our ward was so bad, that the kids and I would sit in the front, so we didn't have to watch--but somehow you can't look away--know what I mean?

Someone should tell the Mormons that this is bad PR.

A cheap-o religion that makes its own members clean the buildings is not going to purchase a decent sound system.

You were kind to attend, and I'm sure you don't dare be critical. Down the road, you might have to get them to back off. A good way to keep them at arm's length, is for you to politely reciprocate, and invite them to YOUR church's Christmas program or activity. If you don't belong to a church, invite them to donate money to a Christmas charity you're collecting for. That stops them in their tracks, yet you can still be friendly, and keep neighborly boundaries.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:28AM

Slightly off topic, but will share anyway. I attend SM most Sundays to keep my wife company, and then leave. This past Sunday, they announced the ward christmas party. After church, my wife turned to me and said she did not wish to attend. Too many little kids running around, uncontrolled, yelling, etc. No interest in that. One more small success!!!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:13AM

Years ago, when the Bountiful Temple was just completed, DH and I lived in Salt Lake City. My parents, TBM mom/nevermo Dad came out to visit us and we thought it would be a nice, spiritual experience to take Dad to the temple open house. The young, 20-22 year old looking couple directly in front of us in line also looked like the biggest Mormon hillbillies you could imagine but they seemed to like each other just fine. They made out and groped each other the entire tour. It was quite an accomplishment, I suppose, to kiss and stroke each other and walk without bumping into any to the tacky, overpriced decor but I was furious because my nevermo dad was completely disgusted by their behavior. It would have been inappropriate in an R rated movie theater (and they probably thought they were too good to attend an R rated movie). In the temple, it was completely outrageous.

Mormons really don't get how weird they seem to outsiders and think they are above criticism from non-LDS people because Mormons are sure they are God's chosen. So they don't listen to the sort of feedback they should consider, if they want their religion to appeal to a greater number of people.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:17PM

Wasn't Handel Gay? That'll throw TBMs for a loop.

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:23PM

Awkward for Mormons, I'd think.

What do they do, cross their fingers?

"For unto us a child is born. Unto us a son is given, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."

Hmmmmmm. All that non-LDS terminology for Jesus. I'd think it would make them squirm. It so doesn't jive with Mormon dogma.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:45PM

..wha? ... you don't think they really believe that popcorn pops on the apricot tree, now do you?

Ron

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:27PM

Gotta admit, though.... The Messiah is a masterpiece. Doesn't get much better than that.

Ron

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:00PM

I went to a performance of "The Messiah" at a local Methodist church a couple of years ago, and one thing I noticed was that it was actually designed for music because the acoustics were excellent. This was open to the public, and there was no pressure for anyone to come to church the next day, as the concert was on a Saturday night. Also, people clapped when it was appropriate.

It was nothing like anything I've gone to in a Mormon church, as I made the mistake of clapping when I first went to a concert there, since I was raised that way. The other issue I had was that the chapel had probably the worst sound system and acoustics I've heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 04:08PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 05:57PM

...for the Messiah is in The British Museum. It is interesting that it contains few corrections. I wonder, too, how many, in America especially, realise that by standing during the Halleluja Chorus they are recognising a real event relative to the monarchy they have rejected. One of the ealiest performances of the Messiah was before the British king who was so overcome during the chorus that he stood up. Since no one could remain seated while the king sat, everyone stood...a custom that remains to this day.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:47PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BWhvIlFVE

Personally, I think the video editing job takes away from the piece -- make the MoTab the focus, not the music.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.