Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:45AM

I remember the last time I explained to the local bishop (back when I was still attending 6 months ago) that we really cannot afford tithe.

He suggested to me that perhaps it was because my husband and I were "living beyond our means."

Um... Ok... Or maybe THE CHURCH could chill the hell out with tithe, if it wasn't living beyond ITS means with enormous, lavish temples that cost a fortune to build and operate. Or maybe with their big shopping malls. Or their big Missionary Training Center. Or maybe all the local wards and Stake Centers, with their 20 to 30 + heated, air conditioned and neon-lit rooms, and their gym, and their kitchen, and bla, bla, bla. Or their missionary cars and cell phones.

Come on! A church need be no more than a simple little chapel to sit, gather, and pray on Sunday.

Yeah. Ok. WE'RE living beyond our means. Right....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 11:48AM by melissa3839.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:53AM

Yeah, a $4 billion mall and $70,000 chandeliers in Mormon temples is a perfectly understandable and reasonable expense for a church. However, there's a problem if you can't pony up 10% of your gross income for said church, right? Wow.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:02PM

The Church can't live beyond it's means, if all those that pay tithing do as well. If the faithful don't have 10% to spare, if the widow doesn't have her mite to give then who's gonna pay for God's mall?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:11PM

When you have kids, car payments, insurance, house payments etc
and all of that has to come out After you give away 10% of your pre-tax income, you are going beyond living within your means.

This is why when you file for financial aid in Utah or the morridor, they ask if you donate to charity. They know that you are giving up too much of your income- income that could easily cover the cost of living. We did this too- we scraped and accounted for every cent to pay bills while giving the cult over $400 a month. Just paying on Net would have saved us 20 buck a week, but we were afraid to cheat the Lord.

10% of Gross is a form of slavery, and an unrighteous dominion over the faithful by a greedy corporation.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:14PM

...if I sold my safe and comfortable home, and moved to a neighborhood where (at least on occasion) you can hear gunfire at night.

Or, if I gave up cable TV, my cell phone, dental care, movies, books, magazines, most clothing and incidental purchases, savings...and even then, I don't think that would cover it.

Yeah, I like living beyond my means. lol

Honestly, what planet do these bishops live on?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:24PM

Responsible church donations involve giving what a family feels is right and what they can afford. The morg has it backward when they think they own part of anyone's off the top income.

Posted by: not part of the problem ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:33PM

One of my friends actually put $2300 on her credit card in December so she could declare herself a full tithe payer. Now she's paying interest on the lord's money.

Ridiculous how brainwashed some are.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:35PM

I want a sign on my truck that says "I'm spending my children's inheritance".

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 01:45PM

Or maybe a bumpersticker that says

Tithing: I'm spending my children's college fund.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 03:10AM

I know, they say we have all these "duties". Well isn't it your duty as a parent or a spouse to support and care for the people living in your home? If I have to pay a little extra to be in a safer neighborhood, you better believe I will! lol. What good does it do to save money when you get shot, mugged, or robbed?

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:28AM

It amazed me that my so called Bishop was living in a million dollar home, and the other half of the ward was litterally living in poverty....He said that he was rewarded by God because he always paid his tithing in full, and that us "poor" folks were not worthy because we didnt pay enough...Huh?? I knew of families that were dirt poor because they were paying their full tithing. Hmmmn, still trying to figure that one out....Did I mention that he would not help me with my heat bill, and so I went over a year without it in a very cold climate?? What a jerk!!!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:03AM

"He said that he was rewarded by God because he always paid his tithing in full, and that us "poor" folks were not worthy because we didnt pay enough."

Are you sure those were his exact words? I find that hard to swallow. I admit, however, that it is entirely possible.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.