Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fascinated nevermo ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:45PM

When are they given, and how much is a typical offering?

How do they justify this on top of the 10% the members are already giving? Do they just say that tithing is for running the church and fast offering is for the poor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:48PM

Fast Offerings - described to TBM's as the equivalent of the cost of two meals. Generally paid on Fast Sunday when the TBM's fast for 24 hrs.

Tithing funds are for the bldg up of the kingdom, fast offerings are used to help the needy.

Other suggested donations include, Ward Missionary, General Missionary, BOM, Temple, Perpetual Educ Fund, Disaster relief (US or International, two separate categories now).

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:49PM

But I do know, that every 1st Sunday of the month, mormons fast from dinner Saturday to dinner Sunday.

And, they take the money that they would normally have used on food and give it to fast offerings.

And yes, tithing is just for church operations and fast offerings are for those in need.

You might as well flush your money down the toilet, at least you'd know where it went. There is no ZERO, ZIP documentation that shows where tithing and fast offerings go.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:19PM

In my family the fast started after dinner Saturday night and ended at breakfast Monday morning. My mother actually dissed a "Sister" who said she was looking forward to dinner after church, told her it was cheating. And she didn't use a joking tone either. Stupid mother.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:21PM

I remember getting rude stares and even a few comments about drinking water from the fountain on fast Sunday.

Idiots.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:52PM

Okay, and this isn't a joke:

On the first Sunday of each month, the church designates a "fast day". Everyone is supposed to go without food for 24 hours and give the equivalent of the cost of said meals to the church for "fast offerings". As a side note, that's where the word "breakfast" comes from. Except that's when you break the fast of not eating because you were sleeping, and you don't have to pay for it.. sorry.. back to the story.

So, every 1st Sunday of the month, everyone goes to church with bitchy kids and grumbling stomachs. They pony up with the cost of two meals (per head, not just one person, the whole fam damily) and pay it to the bishop. The bishop, in turn, puts the cash into a local account for the local ward indigents and they supposedly help out (hypothetically) Sister Hardluck who is single, has 5 kids, and doesn't have a job...by paying her rent, electric, gas, food .. whatever.

That's about it.

Ron

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:57PM

The only way to see how fast offerings are used is to be in the bishopric or be a clerk. As a financial clerk I cut the checks to the families or individuals that need assistance.

As an aside - when Oaks gave his "you can't rely on the church" speech our ward had provided a surplus in fast offerings for approx 4 yrs. Since then, as need has increased we burned through the surplus and currently operate in the red. Our Bishop has repeatedly been cautioned about providing so much assistance b/c the overages are pulled from the stake (which is now almost in the red). Another reason for the overages is that offerings started dropping off very quickly after Oak's statement. I suppose many members saw it as a great excuse not to give. Hey if the GA's say the church can't help, why should we?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 02:59PM

from old widows who would put two dollars in the envelope.

I still have guilt from that crap.

Posted by: not part of the problem ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:26PM

They have a spot on the tithing slip for it, but I recall not too long ago when I was active (a few years), they sent out young men to EVERY house with these big blue envelopes on Fast Sunday to collect the offering as well. I always said "I put it in with my tithing." It felt like a shakedown.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:52PM

Ick... I get mean as a snake when I'm hungry. That just seems like a very unpleasant way to guilt money from people.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:03PM

between tithing and Fast Offerings, (etc.) is that tithing is a commandment from the lord. No choice.

Fast offerings give you the opportunity to be charitable, which is where the blessings come in.

Kinda like only 5 pieces of flair are the minimum. The truly dedicated have more. ("Office Space" reference)

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:06PM

I know of no other church that expects money in "fast offerings" on top of making members pay 10% of their income in tithing.

Most churches make do on much less while also managing to pay their ministers. AND they give out free charity.

TBMs are suckers for going along with such nonsense. Especially nowadays, when all can see that tithes goes toward business investments.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:08PM

...seems that I remember in Office Space that the minimum was 15 pieces of flair....??????

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:16PM

It does seem extremely strange that they take the fast offerings on top of tithing. You would think tithing would be plenty to help the needy, but I guess they are too busy building temples.

In the ward I grew up in, where my parents still live, they sent the boys around every fast Sunday to collect the fast offerings in person. My dad, who has been inactive my entire life, always gave a fast offering. I'm assuming he still does. It was usually a $10 check, and I was responsible for filling out the little offering slip that went with it. I always wondered why he did it, but it's good to hear this is more of a charitable donation than the tithing.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 05:00PM

My son commented to me that if you starved your kids for any other reason the DCF might have some questions for you. But in the name of religion it's okay.

Not sure how young they do this to children.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 06:44PM

Not sure is this was church mandated, but my TBM mom declared that after baptism is when you have to start fasting. I was 8 in the mid 80's.

Pretty f--cked up way for a child to spend one Sunday a month if you ask me.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 06:12PM

I went over to my parents house last Sunday and made some nachos to eat while watching the football game. I offered them some and they said no thanks were fasting. I love the irony because their fasting watching football on sunday. haha great stuff. I felt sorry for them and quickly ate my nachos.

This has to be one of the things I miss the least. I am soooo grumpy when I go without food.

On fast sundays I usually cheated when I was TBM. Having dinner really late on saturday nights and having dinner extra early on Sunday.

Posted by: Red Puppy ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:35PM

Yeah the actual fasting was easy for me because in our family we started fasting when we were brushing our teeth for bed, and it ended after church. So we'd just eat up until 9 or so, and our church was from 9-12, so we'd really just fast for breakfast-noon.

And about the fast offerings, in our ward they have the deacons go to people's house and collect them. I always felt so uncomfortable doing it. Here is a 12 year old who is forced to go to random people's houses and ask for money. These people weren't the ones I knew at church either, a lot of them were inactive, so it was even more frightening. They probably send deacons because it's easier to say "no" to a middle aged man than a 12 year old kid.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 09:54PM

Fast offerings are typically given in leiu of eating, during fast sundays, Every first Sunday of each month, and when ever the Saint wants to become penitent occasionally on behalf of something. Usually in the form of "money" would have spent on a meal.

Fast offerings go into a big welfare pot, that goes to helping less fortunate Saints of a ward.... (although Tithes go to a mall, and Temples, lear jets and limos and undisclosed luxuries, and of course the Church's many many commercial enterprises.

That petty pittance fast donations are generously used to help the poor, to support services like LDS family services (therapy, job training).

Isn't it wonderful.... wonderful?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.