Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:39PM

In my family, there was a very strong line of demarcation: you either were or were not Mormon. And, if you were not Mormon, you were Christian (mostly Roman Catholic, to be precise).

So, after years of 'understanding' and 'knowing', my younger sister got converted. Didn't last. But that's not the point.

Her conversion and apostasy has made me question everything. From religion to politics. Especially to who and what I am,think, and do, exactly. Thought I knew. But I have learned (from this board, among other places) that I don't know. I'm getting there. And conservative or liberal mean about as much as Christian or Jewish or Muslim.

I have decided to think (as in about who I really am). How do I live with my choice? I hate that it hurts the people I love. Especially the exmo's who are trying to find their way. Is atheism the only way? What else is there? Is there an answer besides atheism? And is it less emotional than my appeal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 03:39PM by nwmcare.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:46PM

Atheism is merely a lack of theism just like the word says.

You sound like you need to try the unitarians.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:48PM

It is in a sense saying basically, I don't do the god way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 03:48PM by MJ.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:50PM

Atheism isn't a way. Instead it is the realization that you are in a vast field and that there are endless wonderful opportunities in whatever direction you travel.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:53PM

Atheism is the way, the truth, and the life at the end of the tunnel: no man cometh unto it, but by absence of belief.

Atheism goes from Alpha to Omega, the beginning and the end, and then some. Atheism will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water that waters the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and life freely.

Or some such.

:-)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 03:54PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:06PM

What's important to you? What do you want from life? What do you want for the people you love? How do you see the world? What makes you happy? Figure those things out first. Then see what "ways" are most likely to lead there.

I suggest reading "The Tao of Pooh."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 04:07PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:10PM

Unitarian Universalists have a reputation for being spiritual and welcoming without being judgemental or rigidly religious -- so that's a possibility. Many people enjoy Buddhism, which can and often is practiced without any sort of deity worship. I know a lot of pagans who basically tailor their religion to their own beliefs and comfort zone. There are lots and lots and lots of ways you can find companionship and express your spirituality without having to worship a specific deity or pantheon.

Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:11PM

I have found some peace in Yoga and Chants from Buddhism and Hinduism. They haven't fixed everything or answered everything. They have left me with a lot of questions sometimes, but life is evolving and not static for me.

Also the work of Jung has been helpful to me as it is somewhat 'spiritual' but also psychological and philosophical. Ideas like 'archetypes' (universal symbols) are part of his work.

New Age thought has been useful in some cases for me, but a lot of that can be controversial. If you live around a tribe of people of one view or another that you like, that tends to help. Otherwise, especially around here the peer pressure for science and/or atheism can be great.

The work of Joseph Campbell for me has been inspiring also. His book and/or DVD Set (available at libraries) - "The Power of Myth" has been hugely helpful for me. The videos are I think something like 6 videos.

For me it can be somewhat of a patchwork quilt and atheism can give a more clean and clear view for some, which they like. Someone mentioned 'Sciencism' on the board today.

Some Joseph Campbell quotes that I posted last night on the board are here: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,502262

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:12PM

nwmcare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is atheism the only way? What else is there? Is there
> an answer besides atheism? And is it less emotional
> than my appeal?

According to some of the resident posters here, you were
born atheistic and at some point (perhaps early in life)
you either had theism imposed upon you, or else you
determined that theism corresponded with your experience.

One possibility, in looking for an answer to your question,
would be to return to the state of mind that you possessed
before becoming a theist.

Obviously you cannot go back in time; nor can you re-order
your brain to be what it was many years ago.

But you can make the attempt to at least set your theistic
ideas "on the shelf," and try to live life for a while
without a profession of anything in particular.

If that is possible, you might next attempt to determine
who you are. What is it about your selfhood, your identity
that is unique -- and what connects it to other selves?

That might be one way to begin.

At some point compare and contrast your own experiences,
realizations and conclusions with those of others whom
you respect, admire or have an affinity with.

You will either find your own answers or will allow others
to impose their purported answers upon you.

It's your choice.

UD

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:15PM

There are plenty of answers along all sorts of paths - the important thing is that you find the one that's right for you.

I can sympathize with being upset that you're hurting the people you love. Been there, done that (although in my case, it was going from Christianity to Paganism). It's normal (and a sign of kindness) that you don't want to hurt the people you love. When it comes to your own life, though, you need to worry about yourself first. Only you live your life. Your decisions about how you make sense of the world is yours and yours alone. They may be upset, but frankly... they will have to deal. This is something that's important to you. You're coming from a position like so many on this board where one faith was THE way. Breaking away from that is difficult because you have to unlearn old habits and perceptions, and that unlearning brings along a sense of vulnerability until you get a new foundation under you.

Is atheism the only way (or path, as I prefer)? No. But it's a valid path, if that's how the world and universe makes sense to you.

Are there other paths? Absolutely. There are specific faiths. There is agnosticism. There is simply being and not fighting to categorize one's self. Sometimes these paths take a wander... you may find yourself moving from one interpretation to another to another. Nothing wrong with this, either - it just shows that your mind is open and exploring.

There are as many ways of interpreting how the world works as there are people in the world.

Don't stress with the label or force yourself to think and make decisions. Just live your life - the classification, should you need it, will settle itself into place.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:16PM

No, atheism is not the only way.

You may have seen other posts here that cite atheist Lawrence Krauss and his book, "A Universe From Nothing." If you'd like to see his ideas debated against those of a well-known Christian apologist (William Lane Craig), here's a link to the YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eNjmN9Xtmg

I found that during my exodus from Mormonism, these sorts of things played out some of the scenarios that were kicking around in my head.

In terms of hurting those around you, that's likely unavoidable. I quickly learned to be compassionate with those I loved recognizing their emotions were very attached to the church. So, be gentle, but do not be deterred. Truth is its own defense.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:18PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is you are trying to say / trying to ask.

What are you trying to ask?

As an antheist I'm biased, IMO atheism is the only logical conclusion once you begin questioning. I'm not trying to tear down anyone else's belief - they can believe what they want. However, once you start being skeptical and asking what is real the only logical answer is "The Mormons made it up, the Christians made it up, they all made it up. Once you look at all the different mythologies and religious beliefs in the world, the answer is no deity has ever made itself know to any human."

What starts to get interesting is asking why? Why was it made up. Why are people so inclined to believe it?

What do you want? What are you after? Are you looking for what the most accurate model of reality is? Are you looking for something to hold onto to decide how to live your life?

As others have been trying to express, atheism doesn't necessarily give you any answers other than to determine that answers from a certain source are not actual reality.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:21PM

There is no such thing as "the only way" --- open yourself up to a variety of possibilities in creating your own World View. Short circuit that thinking script that has been embedded that says that everything is either right or wrong, the only true way, or not.

Pick and choose what makes sense to you and use what you want to govern your life. Nobody else can tell you how to do that or what to put in your World View.

Posted by: ss ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 04:29PM

They are the same. Any 'ism' is wrong. Believing or denying is childish. But to see limitation of one's own brain and one's own knowledge is maturity.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:05PM

Because that simply is not the case. The broadest definition of "atheist" is the lack of belief in a God.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:16PM

And some atheists themselves are not calling themselves that.

Saying a-theist or non-theist is really no different than saying non-muslim, non-christian, non-jew, and non-mormon. Only members of the group define outsiders as being NON-members.

As a non-theist, I do not claim that there cannot be and is not any kind of existence whatsoever that we might equate to what we think a "god" is. Rather, I claim that the gods of humanity are demonstrably invented and fashioned after cultural fads. The real miracles have natural explanations and the fake miracles are just...fake.

I for one am awed by the possibilities when you take the dogmatic restraining bolt of a manmade god off and just look around.

I'm not scared to die anymore. Neither am I afraid to live. I was BOTH as a TBM.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:22PM

I will take what you said and double it. Being an atheist brought peace.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:55PM

+1 Wonderfully put... Couldn't agree more!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 05:26PM

Has anyone become an old-school founding fathers Deist? Or is that totally passe? So far I'm an agnostic because I simply feel the idea that there's a God is highly unlikely, but you can't prove a negative... so I can't claim atheism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 06:29PM by rationalguy.

Posted by: kestrafinn (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 09:31AM

rationalguy -

I think Deists still exist, but they don't necessarily call themselves by that term anymore. I think some of them may fall under the agnostic label. I think some of them fall under the "I believe, but I don't go to church" description, and I think some fall under the "I believe, but I don't care/know to label myself" category.

Posted by: Brefots ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 10:37AM

What is important is integrity. Intellectual and emotional integrity. Staying true to yourself. May it lead to atheism or whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.