Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 08:10PM

"The members tend to get hung up on being offended, but my question is: is there anything offensive about the LDS Church or it's teachings? Of is it just offensive human behavior by the members that is intolerable?"

Uh....treatment of women...That should be the top of your list Susie...

Black people....Their (now apparently OLD) idea of who God is)....

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 15, 2012 08:13PM

"I expect to be mocked, and made fun of, personally attacked, sometimes called denigrating names, put down, slammed, etc. just like I was in the LDS Church at times. It's a typical behavior that I find on the Internet. I find it quite humorous, and predictable, especially when people are hateful, don't like me and have to stalk me like some kind of addiction! It's an interesting commentary on how some people use the computer keyboard like bullets to shoot at people they want to shut down. It never stops ...that's the Internet for ya!"

You KNOW why people were offended by the church. You've been here long enough...so you know for some people their experiences in the mormon church STILL leaves them with raw feelings...

You opened the proverbial can so be prepared for its contents being splattered all over you.....

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:09PM

I'm thinking that SusieQ would just as easily not find Racism offensive either, after all, it's just personal opinion.

She would probably just laugh that off also; like she does with criticism about the LDS church and criticisms of her own actions. Just laugh it all off and pretend that it doesn't really matter.

She lives in a bubble. And nobody can make a dent in her little happy place. It doesn’t offer much hope for a change in behavior. If any criticism at all can just be laughed off, there’s no motivation for changing it.

Can you imagine having a friend, boss, etc. who just laughs out loud at any complaint or dissatisfaction you have with them? Do any of you have such a person that you have kept in your life? But on this board, if you blow enough sunshine up everyones butts, it works to just laugh everything off. Even laugh everything about the LDS church that is offensive off.

Perhaps a “I (heart) the LDS church, it’s just the individuals who are offensive” bumper sticker would be in order.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:12PM

Reminds me of that awful new age book "the secret." It is a book that takes the power of positive thinking to ridiculous extremes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 10:14PM by archytas.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:16PM

I don't dwell on what is offensive to other people. I have my own list but I don't share it.
A few things are just facts of life: racism has always existed somewhere, and always well. Good Grief, look at the gangs in prisons!

I don't laugh at other people's pain or laugh it off, never !! That's absurd! I don't advocate that either. I do advocate finding a place for humor in your life as it's sooooooo healing and healthy. Find a way to laugh every day for good health. Read jokes, watch funny movies, etc. It's a positive way to deal with our troubles.

If you don't want a positive, healthy, upbeat perspective, don't read my posts! I'll post the Optimist Creed probably a couple of times a year! I believe in it. It works better than any religion!

I would think that the point of recovery from Mormonism would be to find a life filled with greater happiness, love, inner peace and to make peace with all of our lives. That's my view and I'll share how I do it.

I don't have many years left so I'll continue to share a positive, upbeat, happy, joyful way of living coming out of Mormonism and the other religions I have experienced.....!

Date: May 15, 2012 10:56PM

"I don't dwell on what is offensive to other people. I have my own list but I don't share it."

Why not??

You ask this of other people so why not share your own????

Date: May 15, 2012 11:08PM

nonmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I don't dwell on what is offensive to other
> people. I have my own list but I don't share it."
>
> Why not??
>
> You ask this of other people so why not share your
> own????

The times I bother to "take offense" are so rare, now days, I don't remember most of them. Most of the times I was naturally "took offense" were outside the church--,more on the level of offensive criminal human behavior that is so egregious it's unbelievable.

OOPS lost the page... I don't ask anyone not to "Take Offense" -- I explain why I don't bother, usually and why it's pointless for me to do that when I have no control over the situation anyhow.
BUT... TAKE OFFENSE is fine with me! Make a big long list, dwell on it with a lot of anger and rage and see how much happiness and inner peace comes from it? I think it's zero ... at least it has been in my experience.... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 11:11PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:16PM

Also, in its practice of excluding family members from the wedding of a loved one AND encouraging the young couple NOT to do anything to mitigate that slight (such as a personal wedding held after the Sealing). Both deeply offensive to people with empathy for others.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:20PM

----------------------------------

I don't TAKE OFFENSE at any church or religion designing their own religious rituals. I had nothing to do with them in the first place. They have been doing that for all of religious history. Some don't allow women at a mans funeral for instance. Look them up. I could go on and on and on.

I don't choose to TAKE offense at what other organizations do that I have NO CONTROL over. I just find it pointless.

Ya, that's my perspective! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 10:21PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:28PM

Rebeckah, don't forget prop 8!

Internal policy is one thing, but meddling in the politics of a state is quite another.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:31PM

The only difference with Prop H8 is that Mormons aren't unique in that awful bigotry and they had other religous folks with them.

The marriage and proxy baptisms are pretty uniquely Mormon and definitely directed at punishing nonMormons for being nonMormons.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:25PM

You know, I have 3 sisters and I wasn't invited to any of their weddings. One married in the temple and the other two eloped and didn't invite anyone. I would have liked to have been included, but bottom line-these were their weddings, not mine and instead of getting all bent out of shape, I accepted it and got over it. Yes, being excluded from a wedding can be hurtful, but in the overall sceme of things, it isn't at the top of the list of things to get upset about. Neither is having a relative dead dunked. I don't like it it, but I don't have to blow a gasket over it either. People have a right to be upset at whatever they like and by the same token, they have the right not to be upset. Sounds like some of you need to live and let live when it comes to differing opinions.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:30PM

RE: Marriage
My view is to respect other people's RIGHT to choose how they want to get married and to whom and where and when and under what circumstances.

They certainly don't have any need to consult me, nor do I have any entitlement in their choices.

That's how I see it.

I just can't see the point in being upset or hurt over other people's RIGHTS. I may send a gift, or money and Best Wishes and not impose any negativity on their happy day and events!

Date: May 15, 2012 10:37PM

The answer is "yes, it is". The reasons why it is offensive were given. To turn this into something about "rights" is simply moving the goalposts. You asked a question and were given a simple and clear answer.

Yes, the Mormon Church is offensive. Furthermore, it has deliberately gone out of its way to BE offensive. That's reality -- both you and they have to live with it.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:42PM

Rebekkah, people get offended by different things. You do understand that, don't you? You find temple marriage offensive and I don't. Get over it. People are not going to agree. I don't like tuna fish or the color orange. Should I get angry if you do? I do agree there are some things that are universally wrong, but marriage ceremeonies are not one of them.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:00PM

bona dea Wrote:
> Rebekkah, people get offended by different things.
> You do understand that, don't you? You find temple
> marriage offensive and I don't. Get over it.
> People are not going to agree. I don't like tuna
> fish or the color orange. Should I get angry if
> you do? I do agree there are some things that are
> universally wrong, but marriage ceremeonies are
> not one of them.

+1 :-) I prefer shrimp!

Date: May 15, 2012 11:01PM

"I just can't see the point in being upset or hurt over other people's RIGHTS. I may send a gift, or money and Best Wishes and not impose any negativity on their happy day and events."

You asked and they answered...

People here have been shunned and left out of their families lives because of their RIGHT to NOT worship as a mormon.
You think people should this "blow off" or accept these offenses against them because those who offended them were exercising their rights...

Sorry...that doesn't play here. Too simplistic and simple minded like many mormons are...

Date: May 15, 2012 10:33PM

The Mormon Church goes out of its way to teach, indoctrinate and even threaten young couples into going through the "Sealing" and not having a civil ceremony at any point. It's even in their church handbook. So it's a bit of a stretch to say these kids are making this as a "choice" -- they have about the same choice in this as they did in being baptised at age eight.

Secondly, I didn't say I was "blowing a gasket". I said it was offensive. It is -- even if you don't find it offensive for you.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:38PM

Anyone can TAKE offense over anything they choose. Make a list-:-)

I just don't bother most of the time. My life is just too full of other important matters. I use my energy and thought processes to deal with things and events I can control, and ignore most of those I cannot control.

I prefer to dwell on inspirational thoughts and statements, funny statements, fun things to do, and leave the living of other people's lives to them.

I'm grateful that I woke up one more day -- when my body is full of pain and it's difficult to roll out of bed, I know I have one more day to live and be happy and have FUN and enjoy everything I can!! :-)

Date: May 15, 2012 10:38PM

It appears you had no interest in the answer.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:42PM

Rebeckah Wrote:
> It appears you had no interest in the answer.

You are free to Take Offense at anything and anyone you chose. Make your own list and be offended.
It's fine with me! :-)

Date: May 15, 2012 10:58PM

WHY did you ask if the Mormon Church is offensive if you didn't want to know the answer? Was it just an opportunity for you to preach to people who are "free to be offended" about how silly you think it is to take offense?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:06PM

I feel offended at the Church's exclusionary marriage policy. I think it is good to feel offended at some things and to feel offended on other people's behalf sometimes. That emotional connection to others and caring what happens to them is good human feeling. Even if I can't materially do something to help it is good to feel we are not alone in what happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 11:11PM by robertb.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:08PM

I think it's part of what makes us social creatures -- to sometimes be offended or hurt on behalf of others. Plus, it's my hope that the more people who speak out about their feelings the sooner the Mormon Church will cease these hurtful policies.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:11PM

Totally agree Rebeckah. Shutting down half of your emotions, if you had them in the first place, is making yourself half a human being.

It is important to use offense and hurt as a tool for enlightenment and improvement for ourselves and others.

Pretending they don't exist suggests a cover for something to me.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:10PM

I wish they did it differently and I do feel sorry for people who are excluded, but for me, it is the choice (coerced to some degree) of the bride and groom. Like I said, two of my sisters chose to elope and I didn't get to go to their weddings or that of my sister who went to the temple.Regardless of their reasons, I didn't get to participate in any of them.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:58PM

Rebeckah Wrote:
> It appears you had no interest in the answer.

hmmm, I guess I have misunderstood your question. I got lost in the replies. Happens! :-)
Want to ask it again? Or just drop it. I think I've explained my perspective quite well. Maybe you can find the answer in my comments. .....

Date: May 15, 2012 11:02PM

Why did you ask if the Mormon Church is offensive. It would appear that you have no interest in what people actually think about the subject.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:06PM

Exactly...

Isn't that like typical passive aggressive behavior.

Susie asked a pointed question and got pointed responses...she just didn't seem to like them so she "preached" instead of engaging in a conversation she started...

I almost smell a "Stormy" here....

I don't really see a resemblance to Stormy, though.

(Just my opinion.)

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:41PM

gags

Posted by: mindlight ( )

let the deconstruction begin!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.