Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:21PM

That was all going on when I joined up.

She was married to an ER doc or something and gave a play by play daily of his TBM parents or something.

I felt like I came in 12 seasons too late in a soap opera.

Was it fiction? How did she get called out?

What was it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:38PM

Too bad, too. I really wanted to believe somebody ripped Holland a new one, but...

Picked up a hobby yet, LM? That helped me. I remember when I was first sobering up I did a bit of ceramics...

I haven't done any since, but anything is worthwhile...

Date: May 15, 2012 10:57PM

I'm still searching for one! I think I'm going to start painting, but I need to wait until next paycheck to get supplies...

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:58PM

Oh that's right...they were suing the Church. That was the big event.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:59PM

They make really vivid, lovely colors!

:D

Date: May 15, 2012 11:05PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll start with those!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 10:51AM

I've never used the squeeze tube ones. I love water-colours, even though mistakes are nearly impossible to cover.

I like acrylics as well, LM. They are cheaper and come in a zillion shades. You can use them on practically anything and mistakes are easy to cover.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:02PM

(Wrong place)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 11:03PM by Lost Mystic.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:39PM

She wasa Catholic who was divorced from Jake an ex Mormon doctor. They had a couple of kids and were planning on remarrying. Jake had converted to Catholicism. His family hated her and blamed her for Jake's leaving the church. His sister refused to be a bridesmaid because she she thought the dress was indecent, but she suddenly had a breakdown, came around and left the church too.She and Jake also started posting. That was the point where people got suspicious.Stormy slipped up and posted once as the SIL and got caught and tried to lie her way out of it. It didn't work. People started to notice the similarities between the writing styles of all three characters and Susan confirmed that all the posts came from the same IP address. That might have worked for Jake and Stormy, but the SIL supposedly lived across the country.Stormy and company left in disgrace still protesting their innocence

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:25PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She wasa Catholic who was divorced from Jake an ex
> Mormon doctor. They had a couple of kids and were
> planning on remarrying. Jake had converted to
> Catholicism. His family hated her and blamed her
> for Jake's leaving the church. His sister refused
> to be a bridesmaid because she she thought the
> dress was indecent, but she suddenly had a
> breakdown, came around and left the church too.She
> and Jake also started posting. That was the point
> where people got suspicious.Stormy slipped up and
> posted once as the SIL and got caught and tried to
> lie her way out of it. It didn't work. People
> started to notice the similarities between the
> writing styles of all three characters and Susan
> confirmed that all the posts came from the same IP
> address. That might have worked for Jake and
> Stormy, but the SIL supposedly lived across the
> country.Stormy and company left in disgrace still
> protesting their innocence

Excellent recap. Don't forget the links and search for the perfect wedding dress! :-)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:22AM

Very good recall. That was quite the soap opera that all of us were into with our suggestions, etc. What a huge story....and who was the person...anyone know? Yes, don't forget the dresses shown. I really got suspicious when she said that she had decided on one and then later changed it.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:39PM

She was caught out because she started posting as the husband and the sister-in-law and our clever Susan I/S realized they were all being posted from the same IP address.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:45PM

Someone else will have to summarize the story I didn't read it until it was called out and I don't like soap opera play-by-plays.

How she got found out was basically this:

There were three people in the story. Stormy, the sister-in-law, and Jake. It was pretty dramatic stuff. One night sister-in-law logged on and posted a new and dramatic twist, but signed it Stormy. It was deleted within a few minutes but one poster, Queen of Denial, had already seen (and possibly screenshot) it and emailed Susan I/S.

Susan I/S then confirmed that all three posters were the same IP address, essentially putting all three at a minimum in the same home or using the same wireless device. The attempt to cover it up got more and more elaborate and then the poster vanished.

I'm not the only one who noticed that all three wrote at about a low high school level. Which was odd for, what was he? A doctor? I forget but something that should not be writing like a tween.

I then went back and read all the posts and noticed that all three posters had some common writing tells. Everyone has tells. I have tells. I often write the word "lose" as "loose" for example, I forget commas before quotes and more. Raptor has tells. Benson, Packham, snb, DNA, all of them have tells. The better the writer the harder it is to find the tells and the larger the writing sample needed. Raptor's most common tell in his book was always writing the noun "a while" as the adverb "awhile." I'm sure he no longer does this since the time I pointed it out.

Anyway, after Queen of Denial pointed out the error and Susan I/S confirmed that all three people who supposedly lived miles away from each other were in fact, all coming from the same computer I wrote a short response to Stormy about common writing mistakes that all three (one) writers made. Here is the link:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,241388

And since then I've had a reputation for analyzing writings styles, even though I have no doubt that there are a number of people on this board just as good, or better at it than I am.

Date: May 15, 2012 11:04PM

Wow!

Interesting stuff happens over here!

MIB, I love reading your examinations of writing styles!

Date: May 15, 2012 10:47PM

They all used run on sentences, sporadic punctuation and capitilization etc,

Posted by: meagainat40 ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:53PM

I believe that many people noticed that something was not kosher about the whole thing. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that was afraid to point it out because surely others would have jumped all over us for not believing her story.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 10:56PM

I didn't have the interest to follow any of it, but I had friends who had pretty much figured out it was one person about a month before the slip up that gave her away. The writing styles were identical.

Date: May 15, 2012 10:57PM

When you stopped to think about it, it was obvious that something was up. There was the writing styles, the fact that the SIL had such a change of heart and the fact that Stormy was supposed to be such a good Catholic while living with Jake outside of marriage. She made some other mistakes too such as having Jake wear garments before his mission, but most people just skim stories and don't think about them all that much,

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:26AM

Yep, the SIL's quick change of heart did make me suspicious too. That was so very odd. All of a sudden she was on board. Too strange.

Date: May 16, 2012 01:32AM

It was weird that a doctor wrote in the same manner as a 13 year old.I would expect him to be a little better educated.

Date: May 16, 2012 01:15PM

Well, that and SIL's amazingly quick recovery from a breakdown that landed her in a mental hospital.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:29AM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you stopped to think about it, it was obvious
> that something was up. There was the writing
> styles, the fact that the SIL had such a change of
> heart and the fact that Stormy was supposed to be
> such a good Catholic while living with Jake
> outside of marriage.

The first clue I had that her story wasn't true was that it was also supposedly her third marriage (I think). I don't think most Catholic priests, even the liberal ones, look too kindly on a twice-divorced person getting married in a Catholic church with a full Mass celebrated. Having been raised Catholic, I asked her something about that point--I can't recall her exact reply, but she had some not-very-convincing response.

So...I think she was posing not only as the wife of an ex-Mormon but was also pretending to be a supposedly strict Catholic. I guess it never occurred to "Stormy" that with Catholicism being the largest religious denomination in the United States that there probably would be people even on an ex-Mo board who would recognize holes in her story.

Date: May 16, 2012 01:44PM

That raised my suspicions too. She was also living with Jake at the time he converted and was baptized. That seemed off

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 15, 2012 11:13PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:29AM

I was spared the original tale. I'm pretty sure your version is way more entertaining. You always make me laugh. Even when I don't feel like it. Thanks for that.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:29AM

I didn't care about Stormy's stories. Not sure why I wouldn't but I avoided her threads.

Posted by: Brefots ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:32AM

Not sure why either. Maybe his/her threads were too long or something.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 10:45AM

Let's not forget the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Very colorful!

Posted by: frankiepup ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 10:59AM

Wow. This is wonderful. We had a troll like this on a Marine Wives board I used to frequent. She posted a lot about how she was pregnant with triplets (via IVF) and her husband was in Iraq and she was going to have to have the babies by herself, etc. A lot of us got suspicious when she said she did not want to disclose where she was, because there aren't that many Marine Corps bases in the U.S. and many of us had met each other IRL since we moved around so much. But she seemed to know the details of being a Marine Wife so we let it slide.

When the "triplets" were born it started to fall apart. Two of the women on the board had done gestational surrogacies vie IVF so they knew some of her details about her fertility treatments weren't quite right but they kept that private. Then she said the triplets were full-term and weighed over 5 pounds each, which is VERY rare. Then her "husband" came back from Iraq and started posting from her computer (to explain the IP addresses being the same) and one day he posted a picture of the "triplets".

They were adorable. They were also the triplet sons of the sister of someone else on the board. The woman doing the posting had stolen the picture from a mothers-of-multiples site and had unfortunately picked exactly the wrong triplets to post. When the girl whose nephews they were recognized the picture, the "husband" protested that he'd put up a random picture of triplet boys because "I wanted to keep them in everyone's mind and my wife did not want me to post pictures of our babies!"

We also had a girl who posted both as herself and her "abusive" Marine boyfriend. When asked why the IP addresses were the same on all the posts, she said that she and the boyfriend had bought their computers at the same time and the matching addresses had been "installed by accident at the factory". Talk about unclear on the concept. LOL!

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:15AM

Wow. Who knew? I can see now why when I first posted, that my story was met with some suspicion. I thought some posters were really rude, but I never said anything about it, just figured that there are unfriendly people everywhere.

I don't know anything of stormys saga, other than what I just read in this thread, but I can assure you that my very own story is completely true and legitimate.

Oh, and someone here questioned me once about my letter of excommunication that listed all the things I "shouldn't do" ie: pay tithing, give a talk, wear garments, and all of the things I "should do" in the interim. I found that sucker last night, in my filing cabinet along with my divorce paperwork. I'm willing to post it online.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 11:37AM

And we had trolls all the time. One the official PTB told me to leave alone because it was so doggone entertaining. Super-sudsy soap opera. We all loved it till the gal went too far and killed off the most wonderful, gentle, manly, loving, considerate, and RICH boyfriend right before their wedding.

I actually miss those old boards. I cut my internet teeth on AOL.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:45PM

In a word?

Bulls**t!

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.