Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flipper ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 04:32PM

It seems that a number of people think that young Mormons -- say, from teenagers up to in their 20s -- are very ignorant of problematic areas in the history of their church, and are sometimes taken by surprise (for example, when on their missions) when people bring up such issues to them.

I'm wondering if any here have ever encountered any Mormon missionaries or other relatively young Mormons who have actually steeped themselves in books, etc. that could be considered broadly as "anti-Mormon" or otherwise having the potential to undermine a testimony. If so, I'm wondering if any of these young Mormons have nonetheless been fervent in their defense of the Church and relished presenting what they feel are reasoned rebuttals of anti-Mormon arguments?

If these people exist, I wonder how many of them there are, and what effect having one in a Mission would have on the other missionaries. On the one hand, the young apologist might bring up things that the other mishies hadn't heard of. But on the other hand the missionaries might turn to their well-read colleague for help when confronted with investigators who have been exposed to anti-Mormon material.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.