Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:08PM

Just thought this thought might be good for all

I pet cats at a no-kill facility
I pick up garbage on my street
I try to *Listen to people, carefully when in a conversation
Soup kitchen - just 1 day a week

shortly - Meals on Wheels

Service can encompass such a wide variety of things

Hows about you??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:27PM

I don't see people very often. When I do it's in places like stores, or on the freeway. I don't have a lot of physical energy, so it limits the things I can do.

It's just a small thing, but it seems to make so many people so happy. I let people in line ahead of me. It doesn't matter if it's at the grocery store or on the freeway.

I stop at the food bank and ask them what they need the most. Then I go get it for them. It's just small stuff, but it's amazing how it adds up. I find my self paying attention and looking for opportunities. The tiny little old lady that wants something on the top shelf at the grocery store, but can't reach it. The mother who just got the kids and the groceries in the car, but the cart return is a half a block away. If you really look, there are a lot of people out there who need just a little help.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 12:29PM

I'm a social worker.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:09PM

I did hospital nursing for 20 years.
I have two children still at home. We have done service trips to Mexico, etc that were fun, but taking care of aged parents is by far the most difficult. It is daily concern & worry that just weighs one down. The shift never ends.

When I am ready to go back to the "real job market, I want a very quiet cubicle where I don't have to provide any services to anyone. (I don't think a job like that really exists:)

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 02:56PM

It used to piss me off that the women in church who spend almost every waking hour serving others, would be lectured at church to do more. They would make up service projects for these people.

If you're a mother, or a service worker, or both, you don't need more service projects.

RS lessons on service were just plain stupid.

Posted by: Ponti ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 01:14PM

I don't consider my slavery to the morgbot church as "service work" anyhow, just senseless busy work to keep me from questioning. Now, I'm so into just doing fun stuff for myself and family on weekend, perhaps to make up for 45+ years of slavery, I haven't done any true service work.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:03PM

That was my question too. What service work did you do while you were in TSCC? I remember taking elderly members christmas baskets once. I never ever remember doing anything service-like for nonmembers.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 08:52PM

But that WAS service work. It still counts as service to take care of those in your organization. That's the point of churches. So people have a community that cares about them. Thus, the tax exempt status.

Some of the mormon service is truly service. Some is just by members for members like some of the callings. Being a youth instructor/ mentor can be a real service calling, if you care for the youth and let them know it. Institute teacher, not so much!

Temple work for the dead is make-work service. Benefits noone at all.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 02:40PM

On petting the cats at the no kill shelter, that's So needed. I hope someone is doing that at the shelter where I recently had to surrender mine, reluctantly.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 02:52PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:47PM

That can be so therapeutic.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 09:24PM

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 02:55PM

Does smiling and waving at the missionaries count?

Also, I volunteer at the animal shelter and donate fresh produce to the people shelter.

Posted by: kingbenjamin ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:03PM

In my neighborhood my young family is surrounded by the elderly, mostly widows, including one who increasingly suffers from dimentia.

I mow their lawns. It takes up a few hours each weekend, but my kids have lots of "grandmas" and "grandpas" and I almost always get a treat at the end (-:

Posted by: Anon> ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:04PM

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:15PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:17PM

Sometimes I donate baby items to the battered women's shelter, and have donated toys to Toys for Tots, plus money to Planned Parenthood.

Posted by: lbenni ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:45PM

I take care of myself by swimming, yoga, horseback riding and eating well...

That way I will not be someone else's " service work"..

Oh, I also save my money and spend wisely...

and nurture my relationships...

Date: May 16, 2012 03:46PM

Khalil Gibran... The Prophet

on giving:

See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving.

For in truth it is life that gives unto life ---- while you, who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness

and
There is a time for every season.

Except Forced Service for Morg!!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 03:55PM

I have to admit with being out less than a year I'm currently feeling pretty selfish with my time and my money.

I intend to do some stuff eventually both in charitable giving and more importantly with service at some point. However, for now I just want a break from it, especially where I feel I have been taken advantage of in the past.

Date: May 16, 2012 03:59PM

Understandable indeed

forced service.. well, I can see has hurt many

dang church....take a beautiful thing and misuses it and you

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 04:07PM

This reminds me of a thread on Babycenter.LDS where they talked about the same thing. Their ideas were.... making cards for loved ones, putting them on the doorstep, ringing the doorbell, and running away.

Also waving at passing cars. To be fair a few of them mentioned helping out at homeless shelters and stuff.

One thing I have done is to help sort donations at the homeless shelter thrift store.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 04:12PM

1) Active in PTA
2) Volunteer in a professionaly society

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 04:55PM

I volunteer my PA sound system to good musical causes, set it up, run the sound and lights for free.

When I perform my own shows, I don't charge a fee, I play for a "donation" based on what people can afford, and I give the donation money and some of my own money (matching amount or more) to a local non-profit music community that is run out of a local music store and performance venue that I play at every few months.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:05PM

I was an Americorps volunteer working with disadvantaged youth who didn't speak English for a few months. After that I was a Peace Corps volunteer working with some of the poorest people on the planet. About once a month I go to the rescue mission in SLC and help serve food. Just recently I started helping local free care clinics with their outreach programs, specifically with the immigrant or refugee population because I speak multiple languages.

Other than that, I grade papers and teach academics and citizenship all day, but I get paid for that. :)

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:07PM

Wow I always thought you were like really young...you have done so much! Good on ya

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:13PM

I'm only 30 :)

...still immature though, haha.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 05:19PM

Oh you are young! Well you have accomplished quite a lot for a 30 year old. Props!

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 06:06PM

I'm a classroom volunteer, little league and softball team mom, math mentor, and serve as an elected PTA officer on both a unit level and council level. It's like a whole new world opened up after I didn't have anything to do in church anymore. I have enjoyed the Hell out of my "job" and have made some lifelong friends in the process.....and I don't know how or whether any of them worship. Which is so ironic, because before, it was almost a prerequisite.

I would like to think Mormonism prepared me for leadership and service, but I might have just been cut out for it anyway.

Posted by: barney ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 06:42PM

OMG, I totally read that as "I kill cats at a no-pet facility". Wow, I need a nap.

I take a homebound mom and daughter to the grocery store a couple times a month. Actually they are mormons, though I'm not sure that they fully comprehend their church and it's doctrines. I also spend a fair amount of time working with my kids's Venture Crew. Not nearly the time commitment as my numerous callings were, and done with a much more willing heart.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 08:43PM

My family is always asking me this question. I have found that living life gives everyone plenty of opportunities to serve-almost daily. The problem with being a Mormon is that you are too busy to notice them. You are too busy to stop and chat for a minute with a lonely neighbor while getting the mail, too busy to listen to a little kid tell you a LONG story, too busy to let someone in the traffic, too poor to drop a few dollars in the Salvation Army can. As soon as I wasn't so busy "serving God," I actually started serving others.

Date: May 16, 2012 08:53PM

By Golly!! I do believe you are right!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: May 16, 2012 09:02PM

I fix things for people, and do it for free if they are short on cash. Like the lawn mower or furnace, etc. I enjoy that because it's one-on-one service to somebody that needs it.

I help with my wife's Cub Scouts when it comes to teaching the useful arts, i.e. handyman, etc.

I have worked in the LDS cannery because that is one thing they do that I agree with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 09:03PM by rationalguy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.