Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:18PM

Resignation by email looks very easy, but what about the rest of the family?

It seems to me that we should print out the email, have each member of the family sign it, scan it and attach it as a part of the email resignation letter.

That way, they know that each member is a willing party. Otherwise, it seems likely that the bishop will feel the need to antagonize each family member in order to verify their desire to resign.

Or am I being overly concerned?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: top ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:56AM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:44PM

I'm in education, and we have very strict rules about what we are allowed to communicate to students via email, and how.

Basically, if they contact us via their university-issued email address, we can discuss grade or classroom issues. Otherwise, no, since there is no way to know if an outside email address really belongs to the student in question, and we would have legal liability under FERPA if we disclosed personal student information to an outsider. This is taken very seriously.

I have a feeling the Member Records Office is going off the reservation, so to speak, in doing these email resignations without verifying that the person sending the email really is the person who sent the email, and also the person whose membership they are going to cancel. If they don't check, they are being very sloppy.

So, my advice - yes, print it out and have all resigners sign it. You can scan and email it, or just put it in this thing we call an envelope and stick a stamp on it.

I expect you will hear from a bish even with signatures, unless they are notarized, and even then you might. Without signatures, I would expect you will get an email back from Dodge saying that they need signatures from the other resigners.

You can try it without sigs and see if it goes through. Hey, it costs nothing but some time.

I fully expect LDS Inc will soon move to bureaucratize email resignation and make it as clunky as they can get away with. They are who they are, after all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.