Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:28PM

Just a reminder of all the lives lost on this day in 1941. I'd forgotten all about it until I noticed the flag at half mast at the post office today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:35PM

Still the Greatest Generation. God bless them.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:00PM

My father had gone down to Long Beach, CA in Oct. 1941 to attend ship building school. When the attack on Pearl Harbor happened, the students were all put immediately to work building ships, so he had to learn on the job. He sent for my mother and my older sister and they lived in Long Beach for the duration of the war. His birthday was the day after Pearl Harbor and tomorrow he would have been 98. Thank you for your service during that awful time, Dad.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:06PM

Not to diminish Pearl's significance (I've been to the Harbor Memorial and served a mission in Japan), but preventing collective planetary destruction in this day and age is an ongoing and ominous challenge which characterizes our modern era of instant annihilation capability.

Any generation that can get us through that thermal nuclear thicket is the greatest in that moment in time.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 11:22PM by steve benson.

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:51PM

My wife's father was on the USS Nevada in Pearl Harbor during the attack. It was the only ship to get under way, even though severely damaged. It passed by the Arizona where the extreme heat from the fires and explosions on that ship killed hundreds of men who had come up on deck.

The Captain of the Nevada beached the ship so it wouldn't sink in the harbor and block the channel. It was repaired and later returned to service.

My wife's father passed away a number of years ago, but struggled for years with problems related to the attack, the friends he lost, and the horrible events connected to that day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.