Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: flipper ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:28AM

The Book of Mormon speaks of the "Great and Abominable church." I've read on this forum that Mormonism teaches that the Roman Catholic Church is that "Great and Abominable church." However, I recently asked a pair of Mormon missionaries about this, and they emphatically said that the "Great and Abominable church" in the Book of Mormon does NOT refer to the Catholic Church. One would think that Mormon missionaries would be presenting accurate Mormon teachings to those they talk to. Yet one can read the opposite of what they told me on this forum. Why would the missionaries tell people this if the Mormon Church actually teaches something different?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thor ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:30AM

McConkie identified it as the GAAC, but was then rebuked by his elders.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:33AM

I think that this is one of those doctrines that has changed. I read somewhere that the Catholic bishop complained, I think to David O. McKay, and that the Morg decided that this kind of talk was counterproductive. I do not remember the source. I remember reading in an old church book of my grandfather's that RC church was the G&Achurch and the Whore of Babylon, so it was definitely taught at one time.And they say that God's true church is unchangong. Right.

Posted by: just to be a smart a** ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:46AM

They used to say that about the Catholics. But have some fun and show them with their own book that the abominable church is the mormons.

Book of Mormon preface
Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile

1 Nephi 13:4 And it came to pass that I saw among the nations of the Gentiles the formation of a great church.

The church was not formed by remnants of the house of Israel or Jews. Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmar, Brigham Young, etc were all gentiles. No Jews or Native Americans have been prophets or apostles.

The mormon church fits the description, and is best described as a great whore.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 05:53AM

Next time ask the mishies "if the catholoc church isn't the great abominable church, then which church is?" Lutherans, episcopalians? Its gotta be talking about someone

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 06:29AM

Maybe talking about all other churches combined that is not TSCC

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.