Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:01AM

I pay child support and alimony to my ex, and she told me that the Bishop is requiring her to pay tithing on every penny I give her. I do not care what she does with whatever she earns, but the money I give her is for my kids, and I do not want her giving any of it to the church. Because I do not want my kids to suffer from the divorce, I already give her nearly twice as much in child support as the law says I am required to, and she is constantly asking for more. I just don't think I should have to live in the poor house so she can give money to an organization that I consider to have destroyed a good portion of my life. Am I being unreasonable here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 09:02AM by wendell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:13AM

and I hope he ain't mormon...?

Posted by: wendell ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:20AM

I consider myself a very reasonable guy, and I did not get an attorney. We agreed to do it without attorneys, but then her brothers went out and hired one for her anyway. He is LDS and is a HUGE ass! Once he was hired she told me I could get one myself, but I had agreed to do it without one, and that is exactly what I did. Yes, I got screwed over some, but I know that I can hold my head high and nobody can tell me I was unreasonable during the divorce.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:48AM

Typically, every year you can have child support reviewed.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:48AM

Maybe its time you hired one, just to write a letter to DW AND her Bishop, with explicit instructions that child support payments are to be used for that and just that only, and if you find out that any of it is being redirected to a purpose other than it intended purpose, that you will reduce your child support payments by that amount.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 09:59AM

that you have already tithed the child support, even if you haven't. Maybe she will then use the money on the children. It isn't honest, but it saves giving your children's money to a dishonest organization. It all balances out.

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:01AM

God needs to cough up some child support for his spirit children.

Posted by: JF ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:01AM

A few thoughts:

Child support is not income, according to tax law. She does not pay taxes on it, and she should not pay tithing on it. Alimony is income, and she should pay taxes and tithing on that.

You're paying her more in child support than what is required? That makes no sense. If you want your kids to have it, give it directly to them or buy them what they need, and pay her only what the law requires. The law will not consider that to be "extra child support", but will view it as simply a gift.

You cannot dictate what she does with this money, to the bishop or anyone else. It belongs to her once you give it to her. And if you make an issue of it, trying to tell her what to do with it, the law will look poorly on you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.