Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:45PM

Guess I need a holiday really badly this yr - have been looking forward for months now to time off work at Christmas. So I started getting into the mood earlier than usual (not as bad as the shops around and about that started Christmas before Hallowe'en was over but nearly so!). I'm enjoying hearing Christmas music this year especially, and early too. Not the mall music but my own.

Today I pounced on a forgotten old box full of tapes (yeah, I'm a dinosaur I must finally admit) and was thrilled to resurrect some old favourites, like Christmas with Roger Whittaker and Rita McNeil (Canadian with a pure, sweet voice) and some Scottish and Irish favourites.

I had a chuckle when I uncovered the tape of an Elton John concert stuck side by side with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Christmas. Not two types you'd file together!

I'm working now, more in the spirit of the season with Roger in the background melodically crooning 'Mother Mary', one of my favourites.

So, what are you listening to? :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 01:45PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:48PM

Christmas isn't Christmas without Johnny Mathis.

Other than that, I'm a Carlos Santana and/or Stevie Ray Vaughn groupie.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 03:37PM

Me too on Johnny Mathis' Christmas work, ExMormonRon! But my favourite Christmas album is "The Carols Album" from the Huddersfield Choral Society [Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England]... much smaller than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and much more 'feeling' with the old tried and true Christmas carols.

Thanks for the OP, Nightingale!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 02:03PM

Christmas standards, performed by the Rat Pack, and Bing Crosby, are a must for Christmas!

Year round you will find Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Cream, and Hendrix in my cd player.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 04:14PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5vPgKoUho

I think it is really lovely.

I really enjoy listening to Kings College and Westminster Choirs this time of year too.

Huddersfield Choral Society are amazing.

Briggy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.