Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: May 28, 2012 07:47AM

Here is a book about getting out of another religious cult, the Satmar Hasidim In Brooklyn. Deborah Feldman was raised in one of the strictest Hasidic cults, not even allowed to read Jewish religious literature let alone anything secular, because only men need education of any kind in that group, and women are strictly confined to the home. She was sent into an arranged marriage at age 17, when she knew less about sex than most 8 year olds in secular society, and the expected problems ensued.

Somehow she had the guts to escape with her infant son, go to college, and write her book. It is "UN orthodox" by Deborah Feldman, Simon and Schuster, 2012

I think ex-mormons will find much to identify with as far as the feelings of growing up in and leaving an oppressive cult. And yes, the Hasidic Community are out in full force trying to discredit her as just being "offended" or evil. Sound familiar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: foxystoner ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 09:04PM

Topping-- I love this book!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 09:42PM

I seem to remember her name and the basics of her story. If she is the same person, it is a remarkable story for sure!

Posted by: becauseitsprinted ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 11:18AM

Ms Feldmans book was found to have many lies and exaggerations by both the religious camp and those who left religion. Anyone surfing the net will see her lies proven by people from all segments of society.

Its pretty much a five star work of fiction, but an enjoyable read for many.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 03:05PM

Whatever priestly powers of persuasion you might think you possess won't work round these parts. We're not the droids you're looking for.

Just the facts, ma'am!

Timothy

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 10:29PM

Is the Satmar hassidic dynasty the ones in Kyris Joel?

The book looks interesting, I will check it out.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 12:01PM

That would be them.

Posted by: becauseitsprinted ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 11:49AM

"And yes, the Hasidic Community are out in full force trying to discredit her as just being "offended" or evil. Sound familiar?"

Large groups of those, like herself, who have left Hasidism, are calling her book a work of fiction as well. Its not only Hasidim who feel that way.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 01:08PM

The same charge was leveled at Martha Beck, and there is considerable disagreement on whether parts of her book were fiction or not. Much of it clearly was not, and it was an excellent indictment of the damage that Mormonism can cause, either way.

Posted by: delt1995 ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:36PM

I consider Hasidic Jews to be the Mormons of Judaism. They came out of nowhere, and claimed to be a restoration of the Orthodox Jewish faith and practices, but added things invented on the fly.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:54PM

For anyone who is interested in UNORTHODOX, which is a non-fiction, autobiograhical, work by Deborah Feldman:

There is another book out, a novel (published last month), by Anouk Markovits (who, like Feldman, was raised as a Satmar Hassid who then left the group), titled: I AM FORBIDDEN.

The story of I AM FORBIDDEN is fictional; the facts in the book are real. The story begins (briefly) with three children who are living during the Holocaust, and extends the lives of those three children three generations, to today's New York City.

I have read both, and I highly recommend both. Both offer amazing information about a formerly very closed "world."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.