Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:04PM

I went to Mass for my mother, we also visited my fathers grave...the Mass was at the St.Mary Cemetery Chapel. There was even the Knights of Columbus "color guard" present. I went because i wanted my mother to have some company when she visited my fathers grave. Ole Wenski just had a column in the Miami Herald(a reprint from a sister paper) about same sex marriage...of course he railed against it. I was not listening so much when he went into his "lecture" during this Mass about how Might does not equal right...about how we have to help out the people that dont have the voice that the majority has..you know stick up for the minorities out there....he came from an inner city area known as Little Haiti. I could not help but want to go up to him after the service and ask why he does not apply the same thinking to the SSmarriage issue. In his column he said that marriage was about Gods will for a man and a woman to get together to have children and other drivel that the RCC spews...
here is an excerpt column:

...For example, public officials—regardless of their views on the rightness or wrongness of homosexual acts—will be obliged to officiate at same-sex weddings, and public schools will be required to teach their acceptability to children whether parents concur or not. Even First Amendment freedoms will not be protected from assault.

Marriage has been primarily about the raising of children (who seem to be hardwired to be best raised by a father and a mother who are married to each other). The state has had a legitimate interest in favoring such traditional marriages as a way of investing in the future of society by providing for the human flourishing of upcoming generations. Of course, in recent years, in the face of increasing relativism and individualism in the culture, the state has often retreated from vigorously promoting these interests. Sometimes this occurred through legislation (e.g. no-fault divorce laws); sometimes through judicial fiat (e.g. Roe v. Wade).

I really wanted to talk to him about his seeming hypocrisy... but that would have mortified my mother and prolly given her the vapor locks! :) plus he had all those guys with swords around! :() :) ;)...

I know i did right by my mother but...i really didnt want to attend the Mass...but i did...what would you have done?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:21PM

I think the catholic church needs to figure out where they stand on priets that raping children before I listen to any kind of advice they give on same sex marriage or anything else for that matter.

And from what I'm reading in the papers (vatican leaks), it seems they've got quite a few scandals going on. Money laundering, polictical corruption, sheesh. Yeah, they're one to talk about morality.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:26PM

Money laundering!? Churches do that? Bawahahah

Date: May 29, 2012 03:33PM

i originally told my mom is: i wont go to Mass but i will wait for you and go to the grave together...but i thought about it and told her that i would go to Mass for her...the first since my dad died in 1998...I made the initial sign of the cross...dangit...before i realized what i had done...OH NO!! but after that... i just stood there eyeballing the archbishop...well not the whole time but i did eyeball him... He had to have seen me as I would have been hard to miss since i was the tallest there! :)

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:22PM

I think you did the right thing. Sometimes supporting the people you love (in the way they need to be supported, especially if it's just an occasional thing) matters more than other things. At the end of the day, (in my opinion at least) the most important thing in this world is to be a good world citizen and be good to fellow man (and this includes loved ones). Had you waited and let her go to mass alone, wenski would have been none the wiser, so it wouldn't have amounted to anything. But you went, and it probably meant a lot to your mom. That matters most. (in my world view, at least)

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:49PM

Well, he's a major hypocrite who doesn't know his theology. The Catholic Church does not recognize civil marriage. As in, if you stand in front of a judge, your marriage is not valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. In short: in order for your marriage to be recognized as valid and sacremental in the Catholic Church, you must be married by a priest, deacon or other ordained minister of the Church. And the Church does not recognize 'legal' marriage as sacremental or valid.

So your bishop was running off at the mouth. Officially.

Unless, of course, the Catholic Church wants to suddenly start recognizing all those courthouse weddings as sacramental . . .

You're hearing this from a practicing Catholic who knows her theology: what a bunch of hypocrits!!!!!!!!!

Gay marriage is a civil rights issue. Period. End of story. Religion be damned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 03:52PM by nwmcare.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 03:58PM

Her generation (probably the same as mine) will be gone soon enough, along with its bigots.

Family is the most important thing. You can do penance by writing a letter to the editor.

Date: May 29, 2012 06:30PM

yeah it was good to see the hypocrisy first hand!
Thanks nw...I used to be among the faithful....oh so longggg ago!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 06:49PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 04:09PM

TBM family members used to ask for "donations" to help pay for their kid's missions. I told them I'm not in the habit of funding cult recruitment. It pissed them off, but I'm really not in the habit of funding cult recruitment.

They've all asked what my problem is with the cult. I just tell them that, aside from the racist, sexist and homophobic doctrines, I don't care much for the boring meetings.

That pisses them off as well, but I really don't care much for the racist, sexist and homophobic doctrines or the boring meetings.

Just bein' honest is all.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 04:10PM by Timothy.

Date: May 29, 2012 06:38PM

i didnt want to go to the Mass and said so. I went because it made her REAL happy! so if people think i "compromised" my ethics...it was worth it for that time...i was going to say ONLY ...but i went to my dads funeral Mass too ...so for some family instances...I will do that...i went to be at my moms side during a time of grief for her...but it was kinda fun not going to communion or participating in "The Word"...i didnt recite anything and when it was time to shake \hands and do the community thing...I just said Hi and shook their hands like i was anywhere but church...so I feel like i did the right thing...I just wanted to hear your thoughts on what i did...and the archbishop hypocrisy stuff.

Dang Knight was supossed tyo step into the isle before withdrawing his sword and he didnt...he drew it right next to me the silly rabbit!
:)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2012 06:40PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:24PM

You didn't compromise anything, you did right by your mom. Your loved ones matter most at the end of the day.

I wouldn't say that if she was asking you to attend daily mass or confession or actively be a catholic, but what she wanted was support, which has nothing to do with compromising your principles.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 10:24PM

You are officially my hero timothy. I wish i could be this honest with my family.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:39PM

you're doin' just fine!

Timothy

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 04:09PM

yet more self rightious crap from the child rapists.

Date: May 29, 2012 06:48PM

but i went to easy 10 different parishes and was an alter boy...NEVER was i approached by any preist...and i was cute too! :)

I am not defending...but it certainly is not the majority of preists that molest. There is a big problem with that...and the way they are handling that problem even today...but the majority...or even close? not my experience.
just sayin

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 04:13PM

I would have gotten up and walked out. And I would have told mom why.

I'm always baffled by non-anti-gay and non-anti-woman practicing catholics who continue to funnel money into the hands of the church so that the church can continue its anti-gay, anti-woman political agenda.

Date: May 29, 2012 06:43PM

and no...I woud not have gotten up and walked out i respect my mom too much for that. She can go to all the masses(daily weekly,special occasions) by herself...but this one...she was not going alone. Thats how i roll! I can take a little BS for a little while all the while knowing it was BS to me...i kept thinking...for mom for mom for mom!

just sayin!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: May 29, 2012 07:17PM

to see if he would melt or something.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 05:14AM

The issues of child fucking priests in addition to the number of incidents and repeats is the way the uppity-ups handle the problem: that is, move the preying priest to another parish or diocese. That solution doesn't even approach a slap on the wrist.

The Catholic church is a house divided. There are certain orders that recognize SSM without apology. Divorce is "granted" on a case to case basis as is 'annulment' but they will not grant remarriage. AFAIK (too lazy to research) this they used to reject non-Catholic marriages to members, so their 'traditional marriage' claim goes out the window. They also explicitly approved the delicate ancient art of buying women to have them married. Such fun.

Oh, and how bad was his sermon compared to the sermon of that fuckwit pastor Worley?

Date: May 30, 2012 09:57AM

he was not favored here at all...Wenski has the faithful here all captivated...he speaks Spanish and Creole...so they love him...his Spanish aint half bad either...
just sayin.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: May 30, 2012 05:15AM

Double post, deleted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 05:17AM by charles, buddhist punk.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 02, 2012 02:55AM

The fine print on our marriage license says it's a permit for sexual commerce. In other words we paid a fee for a license to marry each other and produce children. Basically it defines who's in the family unit and who has legal inheritance rights and visitation rights.

Marriage is a legal contract more than anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.