Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pattuh ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 04:57PM

Quick question, how to web sites like this one, mormonthink, mormonmatters, mormonstories, and others monetize their web sites? Is it solely through donations that you are able to maintain the website? Reason I ask is because I want to launch an extreme antimormon web forum, site with well known atheist, scientists, philosophers, and other orthodox christian leaders. The site will basically debase mormonism from a purely scientific viewpoint. I can afford to do the set, etc myself, but maintenance will cost me. It will be as professional looking as the LDS main web site and hopefully evolve to a site like ted talks. All very respectful antimormon and religion progressivism. Let me know if you think this is worthwhile, and is you know about monetizing a site like this. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 31, 2012 05:14PM

Such a site would be counter-productive. How many people would seek out a site aimed at debunking what is so easily done but with an "extreme" focus. No, people are more influenced by advice given lovingly and with respect. Many people are hurting and influenced by reasoning and care should be taken because many, when they recognize the delusions which have been perpetrated, are at sea and, also, in great pain. While anger is understood, it is not often productive.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:29AM

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:41PM

If they want to waste their time and effort, let them do it man.... To me it amounts to begging (almost).
And debasing Mormonism from Scientific point? This Dude should start from Jesus, where it all started.
There's no single scientific point in these religions...(perhaps except Kolob, which Asimow was talking about in His Foundation series)

Posted by: elysiannevermo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 01:02AM

As with any site... you are either going to

A) Bankroll it from your own pocket
B) Make Money off of Ads
C) Sell something
D) Run off of donations

If you have never built/managed a site before or if you do not have any web based programming experience... well, all I will say is good luck not dipping deep into your own pockets to get something that looks that good and has that capability.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 01:07AM

The good ones start out of pocket, acquire regular members, some of whom have deeper pockets and may offer their assistance.
Sometimes it may become necessary to post a funds drive, but do that very often and you'll annoy the masses.

Then there's advertising, :-P

And paid memberships or tiered use for fees, but neither of those will get you very far.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:06PM

Many people consider spreading the truth as an altruistic endeavor not any different than the missionaries do except they have a different set of beliefs backed up by research instead of faith.

Charles Larson has never made any money off his popular book "By His OWn Hand Upon Papyrus". All the profits get rolled back into the publisher so they can basically give them away to LDS for the cost of postage.

Arza Evans gives away hundreds of his books every year at his own expense.

Some people no longer pay tithing and are willing to help out those that they feel helped them 'save' their tithing.

Posted by: laytonguy ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:32PM

try google sites..Not sure if it would be technical enough for what you want to do, but they are free with a google account.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.