Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heyimginger ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:34AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:39AM

Remember a certain leader of the Mormon church by the name of Ezra Taft Benson? There's a familial relation...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 02:40AM by Greg (formerly beatnik).

Posted by: Greg ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:42AM

Welcome to the board. It's a crazy place, but it's the best crazy place on the planet, at least for those of us who have escaped the mindf*ck that is the Mormon church.

Date: June 01, 2012 02:40AM

Ahh yah, he's the famous cartoonist? Very cool, okay.

Date: June 01, 2012 02:46AM

Well, I've almost escaped, I have 2 more semesters at BYU so I have to lay low or face the execution chamber; but I've actually been tying to figure out how to transfer to a different school. This might sound crazy, but I am really looking forward to resigning in 12 months or less.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:52AM

Your questions have been fine and unoffensive. We all wish you well whatever your choices...

SLC
Who had lunch with Will Bagley today.
Will never did a mission but said his year at BYU was the longest of his life...
Lots of really sharp people here, and very few liars.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:56AM

Ezra Taft Benson came up in a conversation I had about two weeks ago. I have relatives who are drifting away from the church because they just see it as a corporation now. The church part was killed off by Gordon B. Hinckley who I felt was more motivated doing big projects and growing the organization than any real heart felt conviction of truth. When he did those television interviews the guy just seemed like his belief and conviction was weak.

I think Thomas S. Monson is just a company man. He's continued the Hinkley program.

To be honest, Ezra Taft Benson really seemed like a true believer. I think he cared about the average person more than Hinckley or Monson. He didn't seem concerned with public relations or public image much. He was more into do the right thing even if it's unpopular. Now the church is bending over backwards to be the in thing trying to convince people in YouTube ads we are not weird and we are just like you.

I don't think ETB would approve of wasting huge sums of church money on a luxury mall.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:47AM

. . . flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:01AM

Steve is one of the heroes of this board, a veritable font of info. I have learned tons from him. Thanks, Steve and keep it up. You really are a great teacher even if you don't know it.
for heyimginger - The U of U is a pretty great school and SLC is a bit less TBM fanatic than Provo/Orem unless you want to go far away. I wish you the best of luck with gagging thru two more semesters at BYwho.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:55AM

Jesus effing christ. People up-thread are complaining that Steve Benson is a fraud, or just a cut-and-paste artist?

Guess what, providing sources and complete information is exactly what many people leaving mormonism need. They've been fooled before, so they are right to be wary.

Since new people arrive at this site every day, some repetition of information is good.

Steve's addition of a few new sentences to info that has been posted before is often just the addition needed to see the info in a new light, or to relate the info to a new subject or event.

As far as leaving the church, but being unable to leave the church alone -- that's become a meme now, much repeated about apostates, but it doesn't make sense. That little saying does not condemn apostates like some people think it does. Why would you stop fighting any institution that harms women, strips civil rights from gays, negatively affects sex education and the sexual lives of millions, prompts unethical business practices, hides corruption in politics and real estate, etc. etc.

Don't stop, Steve Benson. Humanity needs you. The positive effect you have when you consistently present the facts is good for everyone and not just good for those leaving the cult-like culture of mormonism.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:05PM

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:22PM

When I used to just read this board and had no intention of participating, Steve gave me more information and insight than anyone else, I think. His stories of those meetings and Anointed One's experience are things that swirl through my mind almost daily.

So, Steve, thank you. I really appreciate it more than you can ever know.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:57AM

makes it all up. :) Just poking fun at you Steve.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:31PM

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:59AM

Well...

yur garmies are showing, do you have both male and female ones on? we don't mind. yur safe here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 11:01AM by mindlight.

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:05AM

I have to admit, I never heard of Steve Benson before I started coming to this board about 10 years ago.
That said, I have enjoyed his posts. They are very informative and thought-provoking. I don't agree with him all the time, but his post are worth reading. And I wish I wrote half as well as Steve does.
Thanks, Steve!

Susan

Date: June 01, 2012 11:52AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:05AM

From what I understand, before he left the church, Steve actually worked very closely in the Church office building with the Big 15, thanks in part to his family connection and because he really is a clever guy. This allowed him to see a bunch of aspects up close that none of us ever got to see.

Remember though, he left the church in the early 1990s, and it is possible that two prophets later, and a bunch of new apostles, combined with the constant beatings they have received from all the exposing of Mormonisms deepest secrets, that the character of the big 15 has significantly changed, though I think Steve would be the first to admit this is a possibility. He is however, the closest thing we have to a magical peep stone into the minds of the GMs.

He has also apparently spent a lot of time doing his homework on church history. Because, I would guess, his family connections, Church history has seemed to become an obsession of his, and he is fairly good at digging through it, and discovering the little gems of truth, among their mountains of fairy tale BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 11:07AM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:19AM

that said i have had my round and rounds with him...obvious to anyone that follows the Santa and other threads we have had discussions on.
I certainly dont think of him as a hero......I actually read his citations even though his posts may be long...i read them...In my view and i have pointed these things out:
He uses some citations ostensibly to prove his point when a lot of times they dont actually back up his assertions...it seems to me that he uses those citations and then makes claims that the citations dont bear out.
But thats just me. maybe others feel the same...maybe not.
I am sure though he is a good man and i do enjoy our discussions..although i am not sure that feeling is reciprocated.
just sayin!

Date: June 01, 2012 11:58AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 11:59AM by steve benson.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:25PM

I make a joke...and yes you know it was one...NO FANTASY FOR YOU!...in the vein of Jerry Seinfeld's soup nazi in regards to whether or not children should have fantasy's...and now you want to use your non responses to me because you say i compared you to a nazi...what a child you can be! you didnt answer me in the last thread... we had discussion going on for 55 posts and you would not answer me...i knew you would not answer my question...so when someone brings to the table some opinions and is able to cognitively counter you, you cant seem to handle it...otherwise you would have answered my question...and so you take your pen and go home...I thought you were a bigger man than that...I used your own citations to make my points and it does not seem that you can deal with that...no folks no hero here...
just sayin!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 01:08PM by bignevermo.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:31PM

Date: June 01, 2012 12:46PM

so now you have an excuse to not be questioned by anyone that can keep up with you or have an opinion that you dont care for...what a nice thing for you!

very disingenuous!

Date: June 01, 2012 01:07PM

Thanks Heidi!! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 01:08PM by bignevermo.

Date: June 01, 2012 11:53AM

I would eat lunch on the top floor of the Church Office Building during General Conference session breaks with my ETB family and other GA families, but that was about it as far as the COB was concerned. I did have more meaningful encounters with GAs in their personal Church Administration Building offices, which are located a short distance from the COB.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 12:39PM by steve benson.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:11PM

"Remember though, he left the church in the early 1990s, and it is possible that two prophets later, and a bunch of new apostles, combined with the constant beatings they have received from all the exposing of Mormonisms deepest secrets, that the character of the big 15 has significantly changed, though I think Steve would be the first to admit this is a possibility."
____

I don't think the character of Mormon Church leadership has changed that signficantly over time.

They still repeatedly and impulsively lie in behalf of a Mormon Church that is institutionally built on, and institutionally relies on, fundamental fraud.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 12:14PM by steve benson.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:12AM

My ex husband and I paid very close attention to what was going on back then--when his grandfather was still alive. We were on our way out--but didn't really realize we were. Watching in shock as events unfolded.

Some people come here and say he is treated as royalty. To me--I see it as respecting him for his choices, his knowledge, and for continuing to speak out. Even after being "mormon" for over 50 years, he has taught me a lot of things I never knew.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:07PM

Date: June 01, 2012 12:47PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:13PM

I like the stories.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.