Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 06:09AM

Another Bigfoot story from Idaho:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2152913/Bigfoot-sighting-Idaho-Did-group-high-school-students-capture-images-Sasquatch.html

I have a passing interest in cryptozoology. Although it would be really cool if these animals actually existed, the Yeti is most likely the rare Tibetan Blue Bear, the Sasquatch (aka Bigfoot) is probably a combination of ancient Native American legends about the extinct Giant Short Faced Bear and grizzly bear sightings and the Loch Ness Monster could be just sightings of seals, sharks, sturgeon or other out of place creatures in the lake.

But Mormons seem to really be into Bigfoot -- why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:16AM

They think he is Cain.

Posted by: heyimginger ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:19AM

This sounds pretty silly, but its actually the book "Miracle of Forgiveness" that mentions cain being bigfoot.

Posted by: Samantha Baker ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:27AM

Some members were stopped by a hairy man as tall as a horse who begged for water. I think they cast him out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 08:28AM by menomore.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 08:51AM

Should have guessed Cryptomundo would have it...
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/mormons-bf/

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:58AM

But strangely, since it wasn't the weirdest thing SWK wrote in his book, that would be the mutual masturbation, we don't spend near enough time drawing attention to it.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 09:05AM

To paraphrase Bill Maher: See, when you believe in all sorts of crazy @^it, other crazy @%it, fits right in.

The most imaginative people are the most credulous, for them everything is possible--Alexander Chase

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 09:52AM

...Mormonism is just the crazy sh!t of Christianity with more crazy sh!t piled on top.

Date: June 01, 2012 09:45AM

The Bigfoot footprints are always so laughably bad. Notice how that footprint in the photo looks like it was pushed straight down in the snow, and how the toes are all evenly spaced? Now go walk barefooted on a soft surface and look at your own tracks. The heel strike will be deeper than the middle of the foot and the front of the footprint will show the force of pushing forward, the ball of the foot pressed deeper into the surface and the toes flexing at various angles. In something like snow, the front of the footprint would have streaks where the toes caught the snow as the foot moved up and forward.

Bigfoot tracks also look like cartoons. If Bigfoot is some sort of missing link primate, then it's toes probably wouldn't be like buttons at the end of a big slab, like a giant human baby foot. The toes of gorillas and chimps are long and, most telling, their big toes are a lot like thumbs, sticking out to the side. Sure, Bigfoot COULD have evolved huge human baby feet, but it's not likely.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:14PM

>> Bigfoot, Sasquatch, Yeti or whatever. The superstar of cryptozoology leaving tantalizing clues in the wilderness. A footprint. A tuft of hair. A shaggy shape disappearing into the underbrush. Eyewitness testimonies. Ooo, there’s something out there. But let’s talk about the evidence the Bigfoot believers AREN'T finding.

>>The various versions of Bigfoot depict a missing link creature. Somewhat human, somewhat ape. Some type of primate, right? Okay, what do we know about primates?

>>First of all, they reproduce sexually. That means there should be female and male Bigfoots, along with infants and juvenile offspring. Families. You can’t have just one Bigfoot, otherwise you have the very last Bigfoot.

>>Secondly, primates travel in groups. They and we are social animals. Chimps, gorillas, hunter-gatherer humans and so on, moving together from food source to food source, stopping in a suitable spot to eat and sleep, then moving on again. Yet all that's ever found are tracks of a single animal, not the tramplings of a pack. No spots of mangled plant life littered with foot, hand and butt prints and the aftermath of a day’s meal, with droppings around the perimeter. Even if no one ever saw a band of the super-stealthy Bigfoots, one would eventually stumble upon where they had been. So where is this evidence?That’s the mystery.

>>Until such evidence it produced, I think it’s safe to say Bigfoot is a myth kept alive by wishful thinkers, hoaxers, opportunists and guys in gorilla suits.<<

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:09AM

I had a missionary in Indiana explain to me one evening that he and his companion (not a life companion mind you...) were driving down a rural route late one evening talking about Scratch, Satan, the Big Evil Kahuna, The Son of the Morning (Satan, not Custer), when their car stopped.

Of course they got out and a large "beast" approached them and watched them. They were scared, the beast ran off. Their car started.

I can't make this up. I testify, with every fibre of my being, that it is true. I know it is true beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Enough with all of that cr@p. He really told me that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 11:10AM by tensolator.

Date: June 01, 2012 12:43PM

tensolator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Son of the Morning (Satan, not Custer), when their car stopped.

HAHAHA! Custer was my hero as a kid and I remember pondering why he was the son of the morning just like lucifer...

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:43AM

"If someone says they saw a Sasquatch, they are either LYING or they're STUPID!" - Kyle Broflovski

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:47AM

In all fairness, I never heard a Mormon mention any fascination with Bigfoot before I came to this board. There is a part of California, on the coast near the Redwoods, that people used to refer to as "Bigfoot Country" because apparently there had been sightings there years ago. But none of the people who told me about it were LDS. Of course, this was California and very few Mormons there had ever seen one of the Three Nephites either.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 11:48AM

"Yet some scientists, including Idaho State University's Jeff Meldrum, have taken interest in further investigations into sightings."

Meldrum is LDS and one of the leading Bigfoot researchers. I would love it if they found such a creature but not exactly holding out hope on this one.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:08PM

We've dealt with this guy before; Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum teaches at Idaho State and appears on the FAIR videos defending their nonsensical claims about Native American DNA. Ah, here's an update from this last winter...

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2012/01/25/jeff-meldrum-examines-alleged-bigfoot-flesh-from-sierra-kills

I'm losing interest in this one (too much time spent on LDS Freedom Forum, no doubt); the Patterson film has been so thoroughly debunked (I used to have a copy of the original Argosy magazine where the story first appeared), and another long-time hoaxer was exposed by his son after he died.

As Stray Mutt mentions above, the feet are an absurdity and an evolutionary impossibility since the "non-opposable" big toe is a feature of hominid evolution that arose in Africa. is necessary for upright walking, and such a primate's presence in North American would require crossing a Berengia land bridge and every that entails.

I see Meldrum is having trouble curbing the enthusiasm of his "followers"

>Jeff Meldrum Examines Alleged Bigfoot Flesh From Sierra Kills? (Meldrum Comments Below)

>A team including Smeja, the Olympic Project and Matt Moneymaker was already there and had already been at the site for two days scouring it looking for the bodies. The cadaver dog then searched for a day for the bodies. Nothing was found. They were using a small piece of the Bigfoot steak as bait for the dogs. The piece had been salt-dried and there were worries that that could have killed the scent.

However, from Meldrum's comments:

>There was no “steak” — i.e. no muscle tissue, just a patch of skin and hair.

>I was invited to the scene and had permission to bring a dog handler, but the scene was already rendered unsuitable by the activities of those already on site, and the dogs were never deployed.

>I never made the statement rendered in quotation marks.

Strictly National Enquirer Stuff... Or maybe the DNA evidence will show it's Weekly World News... Two more...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bigfoot-anatomy

>Sasquatch is just a legend, right? According to the evidence, maybe not, argues Jeffrey Meldrum--a position he holds despite ostracism from his fellow anthropologists and university colleagues

http://vimeo.com/6367515

Oh my... Check out the drama and hype on this last one...

Ah, BFRO? Big Fetchin' Rip Off, IMHO...

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 12:18PM

Date: June 01, 2012 12:54PM

We talked about how bigfoot was really cain all of the time. Tall as a man on a horse...blah, blah, blah.

Someone else on this thread talked about the necessity of Mrs bigfoot and the little uns...Um NO, as every good mormon knows, they died and only Cain was left...cursed to walk the earth alone and appear in grainy home movie films every now and again.

Geez, didn't you'all read your Miracle of Forgiveness? Speaking of which, how many proud ones can say they were assigned (by BP) to read it? Come on, fess up. I know I was. Mom: "Hey, where did you get that book and why are you reading it?" 'Oh no reason, just trying to be spirtchal."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.