Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 01:39PM

anyone who's spent a few minutes with their nose inside a National Geographic magazine (especially guys) knows that africans have adornments that aren't customary to us here in the U.S./ North America. Other cultures have those neck bracelets, etc.

I suggest that the GAs... at some time in their past, were 'offended' by this, and, for some reason, didn't think them 'appropriate' for The Saints.
Most of us(?) prolly think of this as another example of the 'Obedience Imperative', paired with something of only remote possible connection to Christ-Like living/Christianity.

Now that the Edwards jury has been released, some of them are discussing the case with ABC news; I'm sure the prosecution isn't happy with this.

One of the women... a Black lady with blonde appearing short hair, has one of those earrings straight out of the NG. See her here:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/edwards-jurors-explain-why-guilty-verdicts-werent-possible-120833283--abc-news-topstories.html?nwltr=icymi_gma_more

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:08PM

The fashion is currently big and long. I have a tall, beautiful teen granddaughter who has been wearing those things for years. That girl really knows how to decorate her lobes!

Here's my question: I didn't know the word "immodest" was used for earrings, as in big prominent ones. I thought the GA's were only concerned about the number. Have I missed something?

Date: June 01, 2012 02:12PM

'if' I cared enough, Id keep a reference to the original remark about this (Hinckley? someone else?);

only so much room for B.S. here, sorry.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:54PM

I was expecting to see plugs or something. Her earrings are less than noteworthy IMO. Certainly not "straight out of NG"! As far as being Mormon-standards of modest? I don't think anyone outside the Morridor would notice... Except the snootiest of the holier-than-thou RS gals.

Only thing I've heard is about how many holes we should have in our heads...not the size of what goes in them. Of course, that's the sort of counsel I'd just roll my eyes at, even when I was pretty TBM.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 02:58PM

When a 90-something old man gives his opinion on fashion, something is seriously wrong -- with the people who jump to agree with him.

Besides, Hinckley is dead and his opinions don't matter anymore in Mormondom.

Stupid Nazi cultists.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:01PM

Aw, I thought this thread was going to be about Hinckley's edict that girls wear no more than one set of earrings. I am ashamed to say that I was an adolescent at the time and judged LDS girls according to how many earrings they wore afterwards. If they couldn't obey the living prophet, they weren't good enough for me. Ick.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:06PM

So, one of the main obstacles in gaining exaltation is....drum roll please....earrings! Second only to shoulders. Just wow.

And this is a topic of conversation by a bunch of old men who supposedly run God's one and only genuine church?

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:08PM

The God of Mormonism not only tries to impose 1950's style standards to its adherents but AMERICAN 1950's style standards. It's so stupid. I thought they were a GLOBAL church now? If the church came from India it would only be okay to have nose rings.

Posted by: Claire ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:13PM

LOL do some of you Old timers remember when Mormon women were not supposed to wear Any earrings?

Putting holes in your ears was equated with marring your body LOL.

But bearing 12 kids to a polygamist husband apparently was not considered marring your body.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:14PM

The earring rule was why I celebrated both my divorce being final and my resignation from TSCC was to get a second set of piercings in my ears.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 03:29PM

...and rebellious. I wasn't allowed to wear "long" earrings or large hoops. It definitely took some convincing of my TBM mom to get my ears double pierced in '95.

All I wear now are long earrings because that's what I enjoy making for myself. I used to have triple pierced, and several hoops in my cartilage. Alas, my ears will only tolerate the tregus piercing and my 2 first set of holes these days.

That lady's earrings are certainly large, but nothing I consider to be out of the ordinary. For the same reason I don't wear feather earrings, I'd be scared my cat would try to play with those babies and rip my lobes. To each their own. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 03:30PM by Itzpapalotl.

Date: June 01, 2012 03:30PM

http://www.lds.org/new-era/2006/11/the-body-is-sacred

Hinckley:

"May I mention earrings and rings placed in other parts of the body. These are not manly. They are not attractive. You young men look better without them, and I believe you will feel better without them. As for the young women, you do not need to drape rings up and down your ears. One modest pair of earrings is sufficient."

apparently, an extra set of small holes in your ear-lobes is Offensive to (the Mormon) God; still waiting word on cosmetic surgery...

Once there was a thread here Claimed that a SP PROHIBITED a certain brand (Dockers?) of slacks... Wow. It's too bad there isn't documentation for That One! A TBM/Temple Worker friend of mine told me that was entirely withing the prerogative of the SP to declare that within 'his stake'.

Got It.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 04:39PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 05:08PM

God's grooming standards NEVER CHANGE as the whims of fashion do.

Remember it's ALWAYS been:

Men No facial hair

Women one earring per ear.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 09:47PM

That revelation was about 30 years too late for me. I had my ears double pierced some time in the late 70's.

Posted by: packerroo ( )
Date: June 01, 2012 10:37PM

I thought the juror in the pink t shirt trying to show us how big his balls are was funnier never did notice the earrings

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.